Leather suits and boots Q - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Leather suits and boots Q

Im planning a trip to Deals Gap (Tail of the Dragon) this spring, it will be my 2nd trip there. My lovely GF has decided to buy me a leather suit for my Bday also for this trip. I don't do track days and I have yet to drage a knee, mainly due to not having the right gear. I consider myself a good rider and i'm always learning new techniques. I don't stunt or drage, I stick to curvy roads and twisties. So with that info, I have a few questions: Would I benefit more out of a 2 pieve suit over a 1 piece suit? And what brand/style would you guys recomend or have had experience with? And secondly, boots. I currently have Icon Super Duty 2 boots, but I am looking at getting some actual riding/racing boots. I have heard you need the high rise boot to keep the leather pants tucked in. But I have also seen some Mid-Rise racing style boots that still have the toe sliders on them. Would this style also work in conjuction with a leather suit?
I appreciate any feedback and info you all have to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Strength and Honor

I started with a two-piece which suits street riding really well yet can also be used on the track if it has a full circumference zipper (a must IMO). After many years of riding I'm now trying to figure out how to afford the one-piece I want. Boot-wise, I've used Sidi and Oxtar and loved them both. After numerous crashes I'm certain they've saved me from serious foot/ankle injuries though both have been sprained. Have always used top-notch boots on the street, in stores, and at the track. They're just versatile and my extremities are worth it.

For brands, I can tell you that I was severely screwed over by Fieldsheer and as such wouldn't recommend them. Personally, I'm also staying away from Chinese made materials since there are very few examples of quality coming from there. Pakistan is a common source of standard quality leather. My next suit will be an RS Taichi in the Japanese leather, but it'll cost. Not a good starting point, IMO, and only nice if you're going to do the track for the cost.

EDIT: I should've thrown out the reason I'm looking for Taichi. I'm a very athletically built (lanky?), always looking for "tailored" shirts because the rest look like circus tents on me. Happened upon Taichi at a MotoGP event and they have Japanese sizing which was glove-like. It was hard to keep my excitement contained though the leathers held it back a bit

Anyway, Alpinestars would be my easy #2. They expend an extraordinary amount on safety R&D and incorporating it into their stuff. Occasionally you can catch an episode of Twist the Throttle focusing on them, which tells you quite a bit. But their sizing appears to be standard (46, 48, etc) and thus I've presumed the fit will be much like all other in that category. Too roomy in the chest or way too short in the arm. Just having peeked at the other thread on suits the pricing is cheap by comparison and A* is pretty much top-of-the-line. You can't go wrong with them. The key in any suit purchase is that it should fit you tightly. Sliding down the pavement feet-first, the last thing you want is to have the jacket ride up and expose your back to the asphalt.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

Last edited by kanwisch; 01-19-2011 at 07:00 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 06:35 AM

Talking

I just bought a pair of Coretech Apex leather pants to attach to my jacket for similar riding.They were made in Pakistan and are well made it appears. Stiched wit 6 ply nylon thread. They alo have CE hip and nee pads. I am 6'2",and weigh 220lb's wear a 38 jeans size. Ordered Coretech 38 and fit is spot on. $142 on closeout. TCX Competizone RS boot size 13 perfect fit. Wear 13 Newbalance shoes. $199 to the door on closeout also. This is my 1st leather pants and real riding boots and at this point I am happy with both. May spend more next time may go economy route time will tell. As stated above certain gear is cut for different body types and should be purchased for your build to fit you well.

Hobbies( Beating You)

Last edited by 68gts; 01-21-2011 at 06:58 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:05 AM

I f you ever get to Windsor Ontario go to DENIER. I bought three beautiful leather outfits in black, brown.

Please do not put advertising links in your signature.

All the best. Sportbike World Forum Staff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode