Lid help! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Lid help!

I am just starting to ride and I have my MSF class Friday . I tried on some helmets at the store but none of the lids seemed to fit just ride for my head (you know, the egg shape kind ) so I ordered a Shark S650.

I ordered a small but then did a little research and see that the sizes in that model are a bit larger than usual lids and it is extremely noisy from the wind. The store I bought it from said that I can return it without a restocking fee and swap it for a different size or a different model of helmet. Should I upgrade to a nicer helmet? What kind do you think I should get? I don't really care about price as long as it is a quality/safe helmet.

Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 04:22 AM
Strength and Honor

Yeah, try it on when you get it. Online reviews aren't super-helpful WRT fit, so don't give that a moment's thought. This is the central reason why I advocate buying a lid in a local store, so they have a reason to continue stocking them and people can try them on. An online purchase is only useful if you don't have to return it. After the return shipping you'll be looking at the same cost you'd have spent locally.

Obviously that wasn't working for you because of the brands and models the locals carried, which is a common issue. Hopefully you chose a place that doesn't charge a restock fee, too. Try it on, if it doesn't fit make sure you know why it doesn't fit (too tight overall, forehead is pressed, cheeks hurt, etc). Be sure to wear it for ~10-15min if its a close call because the lining will form-fit over time. A headache is a bad sign If it still doesn't fit, take you complaints to the phone with the online store's customer service and pray they are capable of making a good recommendation.

Helmet shopping can be tough, so be patient!

BTW, doesn't your MSF provide helmets for the course? I've taken MSF in three different places and they all provided lids.....

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
I think most MSF classes provide them, but I brought my own when I did my class. Granted I brought my own bike too. Keep us posted on how the class went and what your thoughts were on it!

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode