Help me pick helm/jackt - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Help me pick helm/jackt

Hey there, I'm a new rider and I'm picking up black ninja 250 in a month, followed by motorcycle school. I'm looking for good leather jacket and good quality helmet for up to $1000 for both. I can't think of what colors to get, what would u reccomend ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Helmet, go with what fits. Get one that will fit to your head. I can't wear ARAI helmets, the are too awkward, SHOEI helmets fit me the best, but like the ARAI's, are costly. Go to the local bike shop and try some on, see what fits.

Jackets, again, go with what fits. Joe Rocket has some good stuff, just a matter of what you want to. If you want to save a little on the jacket, find one you like at the local shop, then check newenough.com. They have new and "slightly used" gear that can save you money in the long run.

Colors, what ever floats your boat. Black generally goes with anything. If you sell your bike, and get a green bike, you won't have to buy a green jacket.

Good luck, welcome to the site. And you are on the right track with getting and wearing your gear. Suit up, even if you running to the store a 1/4 mile away.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 04:14 AM

Don't forget that gear isn't just a helmet and jacket; boots, pants and gloves are just as essential.

Don't worry about trying to colour co-ordinate. I've gone for colours that stand out. I want motorists to be able to see me. The closest I've come to co-ordinating gear is that I've got a Kwacka jacket and ride a Kwacka. I'll only EVER own a Kwacka, though, so it's not like I'll need to swap it down the track.

IMHO, people who try to colour match their gear to their bike look like tossers...

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Strength and Honor

The matching thing is age-dependent, often. If it matters and is cool in your neck of the woods, go for it realizing its more expensive to engage in per the aforementioned reasons. Most older riders stick with black.

Jacket should fit snugly, as should the helmet. There are lots of guides on helmet fit, check the standard source. Jackets are a bit easier but pick one with the idea that if you are sliding down the asphault at 60mph, legs first, is your jacket going to ride up and bare your back or chest to the road? Snug

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyopl View Post
Hey there, I'm a new rider and I'm picking up black ninja 250 in a month, followed by motorcycle school. I'm looking for good leather jacket and good quality helmet for up to $1000 for both. I can't think of what colors to get, what would u reccomend ?
Congrats Toyopl - the ninja is an awesome bike - you'll love it.

For helmets, quality going from highest to lowest:

Arai
Shoei / AGV
Suomy
Icon / Bell
HJC

Probably the best helmet on the market:

http://alivetoride.com/motorcycle_ge...s_arai_profile

For leather jackets - again highest to lowest in terms of quality

Alpinestars
Joe Rocket
Icon
Technic

Alpinestars Octane leather jacket is pretty sweet. I got to try it out and it felt really comfortable.

Make sure to save some $ for gloves and pants and possibly a good pair of boots if you need some.

For colors - you want something that you can be seen in that ensures you are visible - such as white, yellow, orange. You probably also want something that matches your bike - since your bike is black you can go with any color you want and it will match. I suggest a contrasting color like white or red so you can be seen. (black motorcycle, black helmet, black jacket - will turn you into a ninja and ninjas are never seen which is not good when you're on a bike!)

Last edited by phoenixfire; 05-22-2009 at 10:01 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 07:20 PM

IMHO, people who try to colour match their gear to their bike look like tossers...[/QUOTE]

LOL....I buy what color I like and usually whatever color I find a deal on...my favorite gloves are blue and white, my favorite jacket is white and gray, my helmet is red yellow and blue, and my bike is red...

and so is my neck...

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.
Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode