Sportbike World banner

CKX helmets?

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  centerstand65 
#1 ·
Hey, I've got an opportunity to get a CKX helmet, it's used but never been dropped or in an accident, it's only been used for one season and it's 125 CAN, he claims to have bought it for 400.

has anyone heard anything on these? I'm new to riding so I'm not in with all the gear info.

Thanks.

-Jmart

#2 ·
No, I have not heard of that brand. And for the record, the oldest rider I've ever known used to make this statement regarding used lids:
Buying a used helmet is like buying used underwear.
Now, I have bought and used helmets from Ebay before and not had any issues (I've even crashed in one). The issue is that a lid used more than a couple of times isn't so great because the foam inside conforms to the owner's skull shape and since everyone's cranial structure is different, you'd be missing out on some protection.

#6 ·
No, I have not heard of that brand. And for the record, the oldest rider I've ever known used to make this statement regarding used lids:

Now, I have bought and used helmets from Ebay before and not had any issues (I've even crashed in one). The issue is that a lid used more than a couple of times isn't so great because the foam inside conforms to the owner's skull shape and since everyone's cranial structure is different, you'd be missing out on some protection.
I only buy used from eBay. I've worn some really great Arai and Icon lids. The best are well worn. When you get in another guy's lid for the first time, you will be amazed at how good it feels. Then, there's the smell. It's natural -- no glues or resins -- just sweat. Sweat is hypoallergenic. So, you never have to worry about problems that come with buying new.

#4 ·
That I can't "know" I can really just take the mans word for it, he's a police officer, was a very nice man and I trust him, yea sure he coulda been running a scam but there's no visual structural damages to the helmet as far as I can tell.

But who knows really? I'm trying to save as much cash as possible, I'm sure cheaping out on the gear is not the smartest way to go, but ebay is going to be my new best friend.

Thanks.

-Jmart

#5 ·
you can get a pretty good helmet for that much...maybe even one we've heard of...surf for last years clearance...I bought an Icon Mainframe for 100.00 shopping around...its an average lid but I wanted one to put a Cowboys star on the side to piss off my Cowboy hater friends

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.