Tech-spec tank grip - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Tech-spec tank grip

Many have heard of Stomp Grip, which is a pad applied to the tank at the points where a rider grasps the tank with their legs. A lesser known competitor called TechSpec offers a similar product and purports an advantage in that the grips can be removed and reapplied as desired.

I first noted the TechSpec's at California Superbike School on their rental Kawasaki ZX-6Rs. Having checked them out I was impressed and given that some of the feedback from a rider coach was to have a more secure hold on the bike, it was a natural pick for my Christmas list.

Since the instructions call for installation when the surface is above 70F, I opted to wait until it actually warmed up enough in my area. Following the directions, I swabbed the tank sections with rubbing alcohol, let them dry a bit, then measured the surface temp with an IR thermometer at ~78F. Good to go!

The pre-cut pieces, three in all, fit the curves of my 636 beautifully. As noted in instructions I applied them by fitting a corner first and then rolling it on like you'd unroll a new carpet. Then I used a wallpaper roller to ensure solid contact with all points and used some medium duty blue painters tape at all the edges. Leaving it for >18 hours I then removed the painters tape.

The first thing I noted was that the edges haven't stuck well. I have yet to contact them but there's a thread on Kawiforums that suggested they'd run into this problem too and a new adhesive was being used and a new set was sent to him; I expect to receive the same treatment.

As for the grip, its amazing. It actually feels easier to ride generally because I don't have to press with such force with my legs to maintain my upper body's position and its more relaxing. I've leaned over a bit here and there and the grip is perfect, there's no budging my body.

The downsides to things like this, that I've read, is that they can increase the wear on your gear. Also, they pads can wear out apparently, so you'd have to replace them at some point. If this latter is the case, then I hope to have the TechSpec's issues worked out.

I'll provide some pictures when I get a chance to take some and I'll update the thread with regard to the edge adhesion issue I've observed.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Alright, my pictures and some follow-up commentary.

My communications with the customer service was as good as it gets. I received mine as a gift and expected some trouble in them sending me new ones, but I merely mentioned I was having adhesion issues and Dean indicated they were already in the mail. He didn't request my address or pictures and after thinking about it a while, I realized he'd connected my last name to my wife who purchased them for me.

In two days I had new side grips and I put them on last night. To be extra careful, I did the alcohol swab twice and then used carb cleaner on a rag to triple ensure a clean surface. This morning there is no sign of adhesion issues at all. I was actually expecting that because I had a heck of a time getting the paper backing off these as compared to the first set. A starter tab will be a recommendation I forward to him soon.

Anyway, love them greatly and the customer service is second to none. I would compare it to Newenough's customer service, actually.

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:29 PM

I sat on an 08 r1 with these since I have an 07 R1 and they felt great but keep delaying on placing my order. I thought stomp grips put extra wear on riding gear not these?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

I have heard that claim and have not experienced it, but I don't hit the track more than 2-3 times per year. If you're a track junkie who gets off the seat a lot, I could understand how the friction would wear your inner thighs on leathers. Don't let that stop you from picking up tank pads, they greatly help hold you onto the bike.

FWIW, I've felt the Stomp Grips and the Tek Specs and the latter have much more friction, or so I thought

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode