Many have heard of Stomp Grip
, which is a pad applied to the tank at the points where a rider grasps the tank with their legs. A lesser known competitor called TechSpec
offers a similar product and purports an advantage in that the grips can be removed and reapplied as desired.
I first noted the TechSpec's at California Superbike School
on their rental Kawasaki ZX-6Rs. Having checked them out I was impressed and given that some of the feedback from a rider coach was to have a more secure hold on the bike, it was a natural pick for my Christmas list.
Since the instructions call for installation when the surface is above 70F, I opted to wait until it actually warmed up enough in my area. Following the directions, I swabbed the tank sections with rubbing alcohol, let them dry a bit, then measured the surface temp with an IR thermometer at ~78F. Good to go!
The pre-cut pieces, three in all, fit the curves of my 636 beautifully. As noted in instructions I applied them by fitting a corner first and then rolling it on like you'd unroll a new carpet. Then I used a wallpaper roller to ensure solid contact with all points and used some medium duty blue painters tape at all the edges. Leaving it for >18 hours I then removed the painters tape.
The first thing I noted was that the edges haven't stuck well. I have yet to contact them but there's a thread on Kawiforums that suggested they'd run into this problem too and a new adhesive was being used and a new set was sent to him; I expect to receive the same treatment.
As for the grip, its amazing. It actually feels easier to ride generally because I don't have to press with such force with my legs to maintain my upper body's position and its more relaxing. I've leaned over a bit here and there and the grip is perfect, there's no budging my body.
The downsides to things like this, that I've read, is that they can increase the wear on your gear. Also, they pads can wear out apparently, so you'd have to replace them at some point. If this latter is the case, then I hope to have the TechSpec's issues worked out.
I'll provide some pictures when I get a chance to take some and I'll update the thread with regard to the edge adhesion issue I've observed.