My Teknic Xcelerator Review - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
My Teknic Xcelerator Review

I was finally able to take the xcelerator to the track this week and I came away very impressed!

For starters I had only worn this suit for maybe a total of 15 minutes before this track day so I was a bit concerned that it wasn't going to be comfortable untill it was broken in. The first session it was hovering around 45 degrees so I threw on a t-shirt and a long sleeved t-shirt on under the leathers. That was a mistake becuase with my back protector the suit was unbearably tight on the top. I got exhausted trying to move around on the bike and came in a few laps early. At that point I decided that no matter how cold it was for session 2 i'd go with just the under armor and back protector. Thank god it warmed up to about 55 for the second session. What a difference! The suit felt great that session. The kangaroo leather really helped this suit feel substantially less stiff than my chicane. I was moving around on my bike a lot easier than I ever had.

The afternoon the temps rose to around 70 and sunny and the suit kept me very comfortable throughout the day. I think that once the temps get up into the 80's and 90's i'll be pretty warm, but still much more comfortable than in the chicane. Throughout the day the suit was easy to get on and off, the zippers also worked well.

As far as protection goes I didn't crash test it but the suit felt very solid and I felt very safe in it. The shoulder and knee blade system is very nice, and I really like that the blades are replaceable. The armor in the elbows was just right also. I've worn my firends AGV suit and the armor it felt really bulky, on the xcelerator none of the armor ever felt bulky or like it was getting in the way of my movements.

I have two small complaints. One is that the calfs are very small on this suit! I could barely get them zipped in the morning. Once they were on I didn't bother to unzip them untill I took the leathers off after the track day. The second thing that I didn't like was that the zippers on the calfs sat wierd in my boots and rubbed against my achillies when I was walking. I ended up pulling my socks up a little higher and my under armor a little lower to resolve this. One thing I noticed in the pictures is that my back protector seems to pop out of the back of the suit a bit. I think this has to do more with the back protector than it does the suit. I'm going to have the straps shortened on it and see if that fixes that problem.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."

Last edited by bittersweetryan; 05-16-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Strength and Honor

You allude to pictures but are just a tease

I really like the comparison to two other very common suits, thanks. Are these zippers large like YKK's or are they smaller? I've found I like the larger ones on jackets because you can grab them easier with a glove one and they don't bind as badly.

Whose back protector are you using? And is the armor hard?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
You allude to pictures but are just a tease

I really like the comparison to two other very common suits, thanks. Are these zippers large like YKK's or are they smaller? I've found I like the larger ones on jackets because you can grab them easier with a glove one and they don't bind as badly.

Whose back protector are you using? And is the armor hard?
Oops, thats what happens when you cut N' paste (I wrote the same review on kawiforums). No new pictures other than the ones on my "First Trackday Of The Year" thread. The zippers are not as big as the YKK's but they aren't tiny either. Somewhere in the middle. I did all of my zipping pre-glove so I can't tell ya how easy they are to handle with gloves on.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 08:24 AM

I was really impressed with this suit as well. Unfortunately, Tucker Rocky (Teknic's US Distributor) dropped the line without warning, and is completely out of stock. It is a really nice suit though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode