Shark RSX Helmet - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Shark RSX Helmet

For quite a long time I've been keeping an eye on peoples' conversations on the subject of Shark helmets. Finally, I came across a stunning deal for the second best lid from Shark currently and picked on up. The staff were quite willing to allow an exchange in case my choice of size was incorrect. On the subject of size, my head was directly between Medium and Large, so I opted for Medium and have found the fit is fantastic.

In terms of pressure points, the cheeks have far less pressure on them than I experienced with my Shoei X-Eleven. The padding is substantially more elegant feeling and is removable as was the case in the Shoei.

The channels in the top of the helmet and under the padding allow for nice air flow. The vents work pretty well with gloves though I've found that the rear vent, which presumable is an exhaust, doesn't really close well and isn't easy to operate. Regardless, I can't imagine why I would ever close it anyway. The other two vents, one at the apex of the head and the other at the chin, both can be easily operated with gloved hands. The chin vent is spring-loaded, which took some getting used to, while the forehead vent used a rocker mechanism. From an air flow standpoint, it feels less open than my X-Eleven but better than my RF-900.

The noise levels are noticeably quieter and there's actually an attenuation of even the engine noise. Some of this might be due to the fact that my X-Eleven was the wrong size, but I recognized with my X-Eleven that the more vents I had open the louder it got. Given that, some of this quietness is attributable to less ventilation comparably. The new quietness seems to have made substantial changes in my ability to focus and feel "in the zone". Since I've always worn ear plugs, it should be noted that noise levels in a helmet do matter as I've hopefully described here.

The visor is a thick sucker, which is common for Shark. The upside is that it doesn't deform when you're moving it up and down and gives you a bit more feeling of safety, I guess. The downside is that all their extra visors (tinted, mirrored, etc) start at ~$76, which is what Shoei sells their top end ones for.

Another visor difference is that unlike Shoei and others, the visor moves up and down on a friction plate so there's no ratcheting of the visor up and down and you have infinite possibilities for visor position while you're riding. I had no problems with the visor changing position when left partially opened at highway speeds. Also, an allen wrench is provided to increase or decrease the friction as needed.

One of the first things I remarked on the helmet to a friend was that the viewable area felt slightly smaller than the X-Eleven. I never had any issue seeing what I wanted to see, peripherally or otherwise, but it felt smaller.

Last on the visor is the system of removal. I found this useful YouTube demo and review. The removal seems far simpler than the Shoei method but I haven't actually done it myself yet.

The key thing I was interested in was the wide claim that fogging didn't happen on the visor. That supposition is correct and nothing needs to be put onto (or reapplied to) the visors to maintain this. Since I ride in the early morning hours from Spring through Fall, this was crucial and I have found Shoei, even with their anti-fog solution applied, to be very poor at preventing visor fog.

Weight wise this feels very light. Since its carbon fiber, that's not really surprising. Wind buffeting seems no better or worse than my X-Eleven but I haven't taken it out to the track yet. I have a friend who has so I'll try to get him to post up his thoughts on the track experience.

Here's another interesting review on the RSX helmet itself.

Overall I'm very happy with it, especially at that price point, and suspect I'll be picking up Sharks over Shoei's for the foreseeable future.

I'm sure I'm leaving out some things so as I recall them I'll add them as separate replies.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 05:48 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
I've heard nice things about them as well, thanks for the review. I might have to get one now. The visors are a little pricey (as you mentioned). I usually get a tinted or mirrored visor for my helmets since sunglasses under the helmet tend to give me a headache and I don't ride much in the dark anyways. Do you know if all their visors are anti-fog, or just the clear ones?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 06:53 AM

How loud is it at speed?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

I presume all the visors are anti-fog since there's no coating you're putting onto them. Since I have the same issue with sunglasses I always get a second shield too.

And at speed its is quieter than either my X-11 or RF-900, up to about 75. Are you asking about speeds above that?

One other thing. If you pick one of those up from Revzilla and want a second shield, purchase it in a second, separate transaction. You'll get $10 off for doing that, strange as it sounds.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
I presume all the visors are anti-fog since there's no coating you're putting onto them. Since I have the same issue with sunglasses I always get a second shield too.
I was curious because I ordered a new visor for my KBC VR2 and they only had the anti-fog available in clear (and maybe light smoke, but nothing dark). I guess I could always just research it.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode