Sportbike World banner

Textile or Leatherfor new rider...

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  kanwisch 
#1 ·
So im getting my bike soon (after my MSF course in march) and I was wondering which type of jacket to get. It seems to me that a textile would be better for summer? Correct me if im wrong.... Also the price seems to be a lot better for a a textile. Just wondering if leather is more protective and better recommended for a new rider.

#2 · (Edited)
This is an "it depends" kinda question. How fast do you think you'll be riding on average? If you're going to be mostly (time-wise) an in-town rider I would probably recommend some very ventilated textile gear since, IMO, its probably going to be cooler in your high temp, high humidity summers/springs/falls.

That said, textile is not as likely to last past one crash, whereas medium and upper grade leather gear will last through many crashes.

EDIT: As with Doc, I'm an all-leather guy too. I use my jacket with full circumference zipper and matching pants on the track and for trips to/from work. On rare occasions I won't wear the pants for very short trips.

#3 ·
I've always been a leather guy, but I have both. I wear my leather all around town and on some long rides. I wear my textile on the cross country trips I take. The armor in the textile is a bit more protective, but the textile material will shred on impact. However, I like the breathability on the textile on hot humid days, and the range of motion I get. Which is why it is my first choice on long hauls. With that said, the long hauls I act less like an idiot, so the risks of a self inflicted crash are less, then less traffic, less congestion, less risk of crashing.

However, there is something to be said about a biker and leather. So, if you asking, buy a leather. Then move to textile. As you build your riding resume you'll have 5 or 6 jackets in your closet from years of trial and error. Me, I have leathers, textiles for warm weather, textiles for cold weather, perforated leather, and the list goes on...it all starts with choice. And I suggest leather for your first.

Kudoes on the MSF course too..

#5 ·
Mmmm, point missed, sorry it wasn't clearer.

Leather > textiles for crashes. I don't think there's much debate on that point. If you must wear something underneath (like work clothes for us professionals) or it gets insanely hot (I always think of Arizona for whatever reason) then textiles might be a good choice. Same if you will ride in rain, since leather <> rain. Hope that clears it up.

#7 ·
Sorry, probably something I carried from school.

"<>" means "not equal to" in a general sense though I meant its not compatible in this context. "<>" is used in some programming languages. If you ever see "!=" it has the same meaning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.