2 piece or 1 piece suit? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

2 piece or 1 piece suit?

Whats the difference between 2 piece and a 1 piece suit? What are the benefits of a 1 piece over a 2piece?

I'm thinking of getting a 2 piece
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:36 PM

1 pc is better for track riding, its more comfortable when on, and its safer. 2pc is better for street riding, you can wear just part of it, you dont have to look goofy walking around with half of it off.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 03:16 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
you dont have to look goofy walking around with half of it off.
I thought all the chicks liked that look. You mean I've been doing it for nothing?

Seriously, though, I have a 2-piece that has yet to see track time, but hopefully will this year. I think if you're planning on dedicating yourself to the track, a 1-piece is definitely the way to go. But if you are more of a street rider, with a track day here and there, a 2-piece is more sensible because you won't have to buy a separate jacket.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
2pc is better for street riding, you can wear just part of it, you dont have to look goofy walking around with half of it off.
This last sentance confuses me. I thought with a 2 piece suit the jacket zips up to the pants. I thought there was nothing else that comes off (unless it has a liner or something?)

yea, unfortunately I wont be riding track for a long time (mainly due to fundages)

I could buy a jacket now and have it now.
Or I could save up for 2-4 weeks and get a 2 piece.

Which would you do?
get jacket now and pants later?
or just save and get a 2 piece?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrollin View Post
This last sentance confuses me. I thought with a 2 piece suit the jacket zips up to the pants. I thought there was nothing else that comes off (unless it has a liner or something?)
That's what he was talking about. With a 1-piece, you can't just take off the jacket, so the best way to keep from drenching yourself in sweat is to unzip the top part (jacket) instead of completely disrobing.

Quote:
I could buy a jacket now and have it now.
Or I could save up for 2-4 weeks and get a 2 piece.

Which would you do?
get jacket now and pants later?
or just save and get a 2 piece?
You can do both. If you find a jacket that is the same as the "top half" of a 2-piece (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some Joe Rocket jackets are this way, and probably others too) you can buy the lower part later. Normally I'd say save up since you're only talking about a month at the most. However, since you're already trying to pull wheelies, get as much cowhide wrapped around you as possible so they can identify the body.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 07:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
I agree with what they said however, I think a one piece will protect you better in a high speed get off. A one piece is very uncomfortable when you aren't on the bike, and sitting down with one on just plain sucks but I'll only buy a one piece for myself.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:23 PM

Difference in a 1 and 2 pc. suit. Well, other than the obvious the 1 pc suit usually has a camel hump spine protector where the 2 pc. only has CE foam pad that may or may not be removable. The have spine protector you can get that will make up for a 2 pc not having one. So mainly it is mostly personal preference as to which one you get. Which one you feel safer in. Most 2 pc suits run a little cheaper than the 1 pc. If you will be doing track days you need to check with them as to which ones they will allow. I have heard of one track that only allows 1 pc suits to be worn. I do some track days and street riding, I like the 2 pc the most, for the reasons mentioned in the other post. You can wear only the jacket, or if wearing both pcs you can shed the jacket when you stop to stay cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittersweetryan View Post
I agree with what they said however, I think a one piece will protect you better in a high speed get off. A one piece is very uncomfortable when you aren't on the bike, and sitting down with one on just plain sucks but I'll only buy a one piece for myself.
Except for the spine protector on the 1 pc, they will protect you in the same manor, unless the 2 pc has a defect in the zipper that connects the jacket to the pants. Other wise they will be about the same as for protection. the more expensive the suit is the better it will fit you.

Ride it like you stole it, and keep the rubber side down.
Flapper Mod
Stock Exhaust Mod
Front Flush Mounts
Integrated Tail Light
Custom Undertail
Xenon Blue Headlights
Titax Gold Shorts Levers
BTW: Her Name is Nicole

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Nashcbrguy; 02-12-2008 at 01:27 PM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:02 PM

I think i will dip my foot in the water and make an effort to answer this question.

A one piece suit is a better suit for racing or trackdays or if you want a safer leather suit for street riding. When a rider goes down in a wreck the rider rolls or slides on the ground and when this happens the friction with the ground rips your clothes off. A leather suit is the insurance against most of this happening to you. A two piece leather suit is better than wearing street clothes but it is possible the suit could rip apart, so a one piece suit is the best choice to give you protection when riding your bike.

The hump on the back of a suit is for stability of your head, it will reduce the amount your head can bend backwards, it also will give a smoother flow of air over the rider. You will find this on one piece and two piece suits as well as leather jackets.

Most jackets one, and two piece suits will have protection built into the jacket and suit.

A two piece suit if good, a one piece suit is better for rider protection.

I'm sure I left some info out but I think you get the differences between the two styles of suits.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:09 PM

Nash, I dont know where you get your info. The suits that come in both one and two piece kind ussually show up at the exact same price. And camel hump come on one or two piece suits.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 12:48 AM

I tried the 2-piece deal with my Astars MX-1 jacket and matching pants and it was so uncomfortable it was frustrating. My problem was the pants waist would pinch my ribs and the back protector was incredibly ill-fitted. So I bought the MX-1 suit instead and now I don't even think about it when I wear it plus it seems to fit tighter than the equivalent 2-piece for some reason which is great since finding stuff that fits my build is pretty tough. My only gripe is that the included back protector is somewhat hard to position correctly since it buttons into the suit but it all works out once you hunch over like the others said. I'll probably only wear it 5 times a year but its worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode