Motovation sliders - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Motovation sliders

When I bought my bike used, it came with no-cut Shogun sliders. For those who don't understand what the difference is, a no-cut frame slider does not require modification of the bodywork. The "cut" (or standard) sliders do require some cutting of the bodywork so that the slider can be in-line with bolt that holds it to the frame of the bike. No-cuts have some kind of offset bracket. Religious battles rage as to whether the no-cut sliders will protect a bike as well as standard sliders. I've crashed my no-cut sliders on the side of the bike that didn't have the offset bracket so I have no direct experience on the fallibility of that kind of design. I am theoretically a believer, however, of the standard design, partly causing my switch.

After quite a bit of review of feedback on various sliders, Motovation appears to be a big favorite. The designers/owners proclaim to be driven entirely by the desire to provide sliders which get very special attention to the needs of sportbike riders and as riders themselves, they list that as a competitive advantage. Peoples' experience in crashing them has been really good as well.

As compared to my Shogun sliders, the Motovation ones are much beefier and have a bit more length to them. The swing arm spools are larger and make the use of my rear stand easier than with the Shoguns. Installation for three of four sliders was, as with all sliders, incredibly simple. The fourth, where I had to do some cutting, was relatively simple and I list it here for reference. Some ideas were gleaned from others' experience. Note that while I didn't use Loctite to ensure the slider bolts don't come loose, some do and it should not have a negative effect on the bolt/nut.

The left side panel of the '05/'06 ZX-6R is the bodywork that has to be cut. I removed my old slider and then held the panel in place by hand and eyeballed where the bolt hole in the frame would approximately impinge on the bodywork. One alternate option here is to put some lipstick onto the slider bolt head, put the bolt through the frame, put the panel into place and then reach in and push the bolt toward the panel, thus marking precisely where it would hit the panel.

Using a 2" hole saw and drill, I carefully and very slowly cut through the panel where the bolt hole pointed. This cutting is both awkward and tricky because the curves of the panel don't really lend themselves to use of a hole saw. I chose to angle the drill to accommodate the curves of the panel and accept that the hole wouldn't be ideal. Once done, I put the slider into place and had to trim the panel further for a good fit. This trimming was done with a Dremmel tool and a rotary saw bit. I would recommend against the cutting wheel and various sanding tools as it would be best to avoid melting the plastic. To put a finishing touch you can pickup some very inexpensive door trim at your local auto parts store. I didn't bother.

I'll try to get pics up sometime soon.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:23 AM

My compliments Kanwisch, for that was well written & I am sure a lot of newbies are left wondering what & how.

Fortunately my three sportbikes did not require any cutting away for a straight bolt on & YES the frame sliders/savers have saved my bike from being further damaged when falling over at no speed, to once when I pranged the bike on a twistie with some spilled sand at around 120mph. True the complete nose-piece had to be replaced along with one side panel & usual mirror & signal light. The brake lever, with care could be bent back to normal, past experience I am sure, scuffs still on my stock can, to a small dint in the petrol tank, & balance bar end is painted once ever 3 or 4 yrs, BUT the frame slider took such a blow that the bolt was bent back to the max allowed & scuffed BUT the engine parts were SAVED.

Just a new bolt of the same strength, original frame slider only scuffed part has to be seen from the ground up.

I do not feel it is a MUST to put a five year old m/c back to showroom condition for appearince sake, IF the bike is still in good shape otherwise------mind you that is old school thinking. Yes a '97 Yamaha YZF-600r & is the only bike I might ride down town or parked outside of a store or a doctor's office for said older bike in design/engineering along with some road scars showing is NOT the ideal bike to be stolen.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:35 AM

can somebody tell me what this is called?! Its pretty neat. Makes the slider look more part of the bike!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01-30-08_1229.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	29991  

Hot girls are like turbos: a little edgy, every guy wants one, most guys cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix... THEY'LL ROCK YOUR WORLD

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 03:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
moto no-cuts on my bike. LOVE them, ,simple to install, and extremely well built. well built in the way they have added supports on the mounting tab, unlike the cheapo shoguns that will break the water neck on the 1000rr's. then you HAVE to drop the motor to fix the broken water neck. not so much fun, imo.

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3yrey View Post
can somebody tell me what this is called?! Its pretty neat. Makes the slider look more part of the bike!
No and its hard to tell what they're for. Are they collars for going onto the bodywork around the sliders, I presume? I'd call them slider trim, personally, if that's the case.

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
No and its hard to tell what they're for. Are they collars for going onto the bodywork around the sliders, I presume? I'd call them slider trim, personally, if that's the case.
thanks!! now I know what to buy. I need another one in different color.

Hot girls are like turbos: a little edgy, every guy wants one, most guys cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix... THEY'LL ROCK YOUR WORLD
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Finally, some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0842.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	30003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0854.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	30004   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0853.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	30005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0851.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	30006   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0846.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	30007  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode