OneSecondFaster rearsets - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

OneSecondFaster rearsets

I bought a set of rearsets for my '05 Kawi ZX-6R because I got tired of shelling out for a complete OEM set any time the right side went down at any speed.

Sato and Gilles are among the favorites out there, but are incredibly pricey. Got my OneSecondFaster rearsets for ~$225 (IIRC) and they're made entirely in the U.S. with U.S. machinery tools and materials. That was a big plus for me.

Install instructions were only fair as there is only 2-3 pictures, but they weren't overly complicated to understand. The finish is really nice on them and, of course, they're very adjustable. I haven't ridden on them to give feedback on flex yet but will do so once it warms up here.

I did have two issues on the install. One was that one of the holes wasn't tapped all the way through, though it was close enough for me to force the bolt through a few times which allowed it to be loose enough to get the bolt entirely through. Locktite, of course, is recommended for all fittings.

The other issue I had was that, following OSF's instructions, my shifter wouldn't move once the peg bolt (which pinches the shifter) was tightened to spec. Perhaps it was the cold of winter but I realized some 2 months later that removing one of the shims included and recommended for install resolved the problem, with only a very slight negative impact in side-to-side motion. I seriously doubt I'll ever note it with my foot.

In terms of customer communication, I was initially very unhappy because my initial request for help on the two aforementioned issues went completely unanswered. I figured out the first problem on my own but followed with a second email to them. Turns out their spam filter didn't like my Hotmail account and one of the guys happened to catch that some of their email was being incorrectly dumped. He was apologetic and helped immediately. I'm now quite satisfied with customer service there. In hindsight, I should've just called them.

During that email discourse Chris indicated they were looking at picking up a CNC lathe at which point pegs would drop to $10ea This is why shims are currently included in the rearset purchase but the instructions need to be revised to indicate that one should only use as many as needed to provide a tight but operable fit. Obvious in hindsight

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

Last edited by kanwisch; 01-25-2008 at 04:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 11:32 AM

Still have to agree with you that the buy seems to be quite reasonable. If they do obtain a CNC piece of equipment then production will be even better. You deal with pistolsmiths as I have & said CNC pieces of machinery are PERFECTION.

On the one where the hole was not fully taped I would probably have picked up my tape & die set to finish if off, but then you need the latter amongst your tools to be of service to you.

The shift lever bit sounds close to being resolved, so let us know what the final outcome was once you started riding & possibly a photo or two of them. For I might follow for my Honda 954.

Above all is "thank you" for giving us some good info on said purchase & reason why. Above all American made is a factor & not Chinese as that seems to be all bar stock parts coming from the Jpn makers with are tops as well, but not Chinese crap.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Pictures of these are ready too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0843.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	30008   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0844.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	30009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0850.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	30010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0849.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	30011   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0852.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	30012  

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 09:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
I was thinking of getting some rearsets for the zixxer. These might be an option if I ever decide to pull the trigger. I'll definately be interested in a ride report.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 09:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Any updates on these yet??

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Its still too cold here (gotta be 50F+ at 6am) for me to get out and use them in areas of interest where I can really feel them so the bike's not been taken out of winter hibernation. The itch is killin' me though so I might be prepping it late this week or early next.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

UPDATE (but not what you're expecting). Another login at another site ordered them and has been waiting two weeks and has gotten no response to emails or phone calls, somewhat like I had experienced. Finally, another login wrote that he'd read they were quite poor at cust service; I did a quick Google and found this URL .

I still think the parts were worth the cost but since I haven't broken anything yet I can't reflect on the customer service. Given that they don't have a CNC machine, its my guess that that's subcontracted and that the sub isn't producing their parts on a very speedy schedule. Looking at the satellite images of their location reveals that at least its in a commercial/industrial park of some kind so its hard to know the real deal. Further, I found this interesting:
Quote:
I am a 1 person corporation
on iReporter.

Will this company fall below my "absolute zero" customer service company Fieldsheer? Only time will really tell on that. I will say that after having read that others have the same communication issues I've re-evaluated my forgiving them for their original failures and look upon the company with suspicion at this point.

Monday's looking like a possibility for a review of the feel of the sets, if it doesn't rain, so hopefully I can have up other thoughts on Tuesday.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 09:44 AM

This is a somewhat depressing update. They really seemed like a great alternative to the bigger name brands, however, customer service is very important to me. Oh well, i'm still looking forward to a ride report.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Brief update. I took a ride last night just to get out and was very surprised at how stiff the sets were. They are definitely stiffer than my stock ones were. I need to adjust the shifter and was hoping to adjust the brake lever, but am pretty sure the latter isn't adjustable. I'll have a look tonight and let you know if I'm wrong about the brake lever.

Also, I didn't do any hanging off in curves but did heavily weight each side and am very happy with the feel. I'd read that Vortex are sometimes referred to as the "meat grinders" thanks to the lack of comfort on the bottom of one's foot and I had no issues with that on these. It might also be true that the pegs are a bit longer than stock but I'll have to directly compare when I go to do adjustments.

Still undecided about the peg adjustment point but at the highest and farthest back I wasn't really contorted or uncomfortable. Clearance has improved but I haven't measure that yet, either.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

New update. I took the bike into work today, which is over an hour's drive, so there was plenty of "feel" time. Please note I also wore my new Oxtar TCS EVO boots, so some of these experiences may have been enhanced by the new boots. Also note these comments are based on my experience as compared to the stock Kawasaki ZX-6R (2005) rearsets.

The pegs are very, very solid. Compared to stock they are much more comfortable on the bottom of my feet and the lack of nub on the end gives my really wide feet a rest on the sides. For now I don't foresee the need for extra internal padding in my boots to improve comfort.

The shifter operated very smoothly and now that its adjusted right, shifts solidly and my boot grips it quickly and without issue. I didn't realize I was having some slipping with the stocker until I put this on. Its length is exactly perfect for me and I don't find myself having to make special adjustments to my foot movement when going "around" the shifter.

The brake side is equally satisfying. The pedal is much more solid and has more response than the stock, which in hindsight had some flex in it which resulted in a mushier feel. As I noted before, it would have been nice to adjust this pedal down slightly too but I don't see how that can be done. I may write in about that but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out if that's possible or not. Regardless, the pedal is located satisfactorily and I can operate it with little attention.

I haven't done any shifting of body weight for high speed corners and its likely to be a while before that happens since I just got into the seat from the winter's hibernation. Need some time to get reoriented and practiced up.

Let me know if there are any questions or thoughts and I'll respond as needed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode