Few questions about starting up - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Few questions about starting up

My dad has decided to take the MSF course with me. However, we need to get helmet, boots, gloves, + jacket before we can take the course. Herein lies the problem. My dad wears a size 16 shoe, although sometimes a 15 will fit him. The largest boot i've been able to find is a 14. What options does he have if there's nothing available?

Another question, this time regarding gear for me: I have enough saved to cover all the gear and the course. However, is it better to get high-end gear off the bat, or wait a bit and start with middling quality stuff at first? In some hobbies of mine, it's been best to get good stuff right off, and other times it's been better to wait until later. Where does m/c gear come in?

Textiles, leather, or a mix? (for the jacket)

Are shoei's worth the price? (helmet)

For boots, I was looking at the PUMA flat 2's. I've worn puma's before, and since nike or adidas don't make boots, i'm kind of starting with what i know. However, while puma, nike, and adidas are really the king of cleats, what kind of quality do puma boots have? Are there any other brands that I should look at? I want something that i can be comfortable with on and off the bike, because I don't want to have to take an extra pair of shoes everywhere.

Anything else I should know about gear as a newbie?

I'm willing to spend as much as reasonably required on gear, I don't feel like missing games or practice because i ripped all the skin off my back or busted my noggin.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 06:08 PM

Best to go mid-price range on most things. After all as you are clocking on the hrs of riding you will find things you might have purchased that would have been more to you liking.

Shoei is a good helmet, but how many I wore befoe Shoei, in the full face helmet type, is something like 4 or 5 before I found Shoei was my shape of head & my liking. Yet in honesty I was into most forms of dirt comp in '47 so according to rule we had to wear a crash helmet & that clocks on a lot of helmets, tack on compulsory wearing of helmet in '68 PLUS being in the m/c business.

Protective gear is changing all the time as the makers are still learning & they are having them made over in Italy, Sweden, Germany, Indonesia, Pakistan,Korea & many different plants in Chine SO there are many variations.

Boots can be a bummer. If you have a sneaker with a high top I think it will be accepted as there is some protection of the ankle bone. Just a temporary set-up during the few days of learning. You can then start to look around more seviously after. Personally I no longer do any road racing nor any dirt comp, yet I have three sportbikes in my garage & a good work boot WITHOUT a protective toe area is what I used for yrs to some comp boots, to pair of decent hunting boots.

Any sort of work glove will do at the start & then you can look around the shops to buy something a bit better later on. I have to admit my hands & fingers are a mess for I competed so often not wearing anything. So now, though to late, I buy a good $200.00 or more costly gauntlet as used in road racing, but you can get some good gloves at around $45.00 that will do till you note something much more to your liking.

In the helmet like my suggestion is you deal at a m/c shop rather then on-line for our heads are differently shaped so that will mean trying out ones closer to your shape of head & I can assure you all helmets will feel to tight a fit for a full face helmet is not normal in your life span as of to date.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

thanks, that really helps. I wear low/light shoes so boots are still on the list unfortunately.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 04:44 AM
Strength and Honor

Before you make huge investments in gear, I would recommend completing MSF first. Using any leather jacket and leather gloves will suffice for MSF. And boots only must be over-the-ankle, so even work boots qualify. After you've finished the MSF you two will have a much better idea of what kind of investment you want to make into motorcycling. It is quite expensive so be warned

Lastly, this is the first time I think I've read that the MSF Beginners' course required the student to bring in a helmet. Did the MSF coordinator tell you this?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

No, but it's listed on their website as a requirement for the beginning rider course. I won't need a jacket for the course, and i can probably get gloves and boots cheap. Helmet I can probably borrow from someone. I'm taking the course through the local harley dealer, so it might be a little different.

http://www.mikesfamous.com/ridersedge.asp
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 05:41 AM
Strength and Honor

I'd call over there to make sure unless you can borrow one

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode