trusted online sites? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

trusted online sites?

Hey all I'm shopping for some gear and am going to be getting a bike in the next month and was wondering if anyone here orders from E-bay or any other online source.

Thanks,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 04:13 PM

eBay kicks ass... just read through the seller ratings and stuff VERY carefully first. Also, if shopping eBay, make sure you know what you are buying... about 50% of the time if it is a new item, you can get it cheaper elsewhere. Definitely use Paypal... this protects you AND the seller. Personally, I refuse to send money orders or anything like that. It is either Paypal, Visa, or nothing. That way, if you do get stiffed, there is a course of action you can take to get your money back. Since you are buying a bike, I would assume you will be going to pick it up. Try to make arrangements (PRIOR to commiting to buy or bidding) in regards to paying 100% in person.

Read careful and do your homework... the internet is a safe place to buy. I don't even go into stores anymore if I don't have to.

Also... don't fall for the "I am stationed in Europe and trying to sell my bike in the US" scam. That has been floating around ebay forever.

A friend of mine bought his Gixxer from VA through eBay. I have purchased my last 3 cars through ebay.

Last edited by ZX6R1033; 12-04-2007 at 04:16 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 04:52 AM
Strength and Honor

Bike-specific forums can offer better prices than you'd find in local papers and that's where I look for the actual "going rate" on a model and year of interest. Craigslist is a good secondary. Ebay's not the best b/c so many auctions end w/o meeting Reserve. It can be a good lead into local availability, tho.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to be orderinging my gear from E-bay, I've been to the local bike shop to try on helmets, jackets and gloves and to compare pricing to make sure I don't get ripped off.
As for the bike I'm wanna buy locally but there is nothing really available. Craiglist turned up a few things but 2 out of the three bikes say they need to ship it and I've heard many bad stories about those being fake or the bike showin up al messed up. The third was an 01 F4i, beautiful bike, with 8,500miles for $2900, and I really didn't want one with that many miles. I guess I'd better leave the bike talk for another thread so we don't get in trouble.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Strength and Honor

Uh, your OP seemed to indicate you were asking about places we look for bikes, not gear. Yeah, I know its in the gear forum, but you wouldn't be the first to have misplaced something.

For gear I far prefer the local vendors, even at a slight price premium. Second to that is www.newenough.com, which is the shiz for service.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

ordered my gear!!!!

Well I was on my way to the local bike shop to try on a few helmets and jacket when I see this beautiful red bike sitting by the road with a for sale sign on her. So I flip a u turn (in my car I don't have my bike yet) and head back to look at it as I am looking hard for a bike right now. It turns out to be an $11,000 Ducati so I didn't even take a second glance at it, but I did notice it was parked infront of a bike shop I never knew was there. I went inside and was B.S.'n with the guys and I tried on some stuff and ended up buying all my gear, even though I said I was going to use E-bay to get it, but the prices were pretty clode to E-bays and the guy took the time to talk with me and show me how a helmet and jacket should fit and helped me find the right sizes so I was more than happy to keep my $650.00+ local.
I was at tyhe other bike shop the day before looking for answers to these questions and just got the "does it feel like it fits" answer for everything. I don't know how it is supposed to fit, thats why I'm here..
Anyway the smaller, friendlier place took care of me and the large corp type store just got used. I guess it really is all about customer service.
OH ya I picked up the black Icon Decay helmet and the Mesh Decay jacket along with a set of cortex accelorator gloves, and they even through in a free Icon T-shirt
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 04:31 AM

looks like you found someone who was willing to help you out with your gear and sounds like he knew how to fit you correctly and that is good and hard to find at times. now for the bike, 01 F4i, beautiful bike, with 8,500miles for $2900 and ocording to nada used price guide low retail is 3.500 and high retail is 4.500 and the bike has low miles not even broke in yet, you need to remember these bikes can get 100k or more out of them easlie with the correct maintance kept up on them. sounds like this is going to be your first bike , remember to take the msf course and read the stickys about first bikes.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 07:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
support your local independant shops. sportbiketrackgear.com or superbikesupply.com.

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 10:48 PM

Newenough.com has lowest prices Ive ever seen
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 06:50 AM

In a shameless plug for the supporters/sponsors of sportbikeworld.com, might I suggest you take a look at them as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode