Getting interested in gear! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
Getting interested in gear!

Gear.

I know how important it is, I've seen the pictures, heck, I've been down that road myself ... but I simply will not wear gear I am not totally comfortable in, and so ... well, lets just say I'm not always properly suited up and my expensive leather jacket takes up space in my closet.

BUT, I'm trying to reform my ways. I have spent quite some time looking at the available options out there for gear.

I checked out a few different shops, tried on all kinds of stuff, and for starters, I have found a few things I think might be for me.

This jacket ... Joe Rocket UFO Mesh jacket seems light enough that I might actually wear it every time I ride. Fits really well, which is surprising, and the elbow, shoulder, and spot for the back protector have got to be better than what I wear (or more accurately, don't wear) now.

Then I found these gloves ... Rev-It Solar Gloves. They are really comfu, don't seem to bulky as to interfere with my "feel" for the controls, and seem at first glance to offer at least decent palm and knuckle protection. As I currently ride in motocross gloves, these are without a doubt a step up.

Anyone have either of these items? I know they are not top of the protection pyramid, but are they worth anything at all? I'm tryin to work with the "best gear in the world will not save me hanging in my closet" theory, but at the same time, if they do as much good as a denim jacket and cheap gloves, then what's the point?
SpykeGirlzR6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
 
DanQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, NC 28540
Posts: 704
Re: Getting interested in gear!

Quote:
Originally posted by SpykeGirlzR6
Gear.

I know how important it is, I've seen the pictures, heck, I've been down that road myself ... but I simply will not wear gear I am not totally comfortable in, and so ... well, lets just say I'm not always properly suited up and my expensive leather jacket takes up space in my closet.

BUT, I'm trying to reform my ways. I have spent quite some time looking at the available options out there for gear.

I checked out a few different shops, tried on all kinds of stuff, and for starters, I have found a few things I think might be for me.

This jacket ... Joe Rocket UFO Mesh jacket seems light enough that I might actually wear it every time I ride. Fits really well, which is surprising, and the elbow, shoulder, and spot for the back protector have got to be better than what I wear (or more accurately, don't wear) now.

Then I found these gloves ... Rev-It Solar Gloves. They are really comfu, don't seem to bulky as to interfere with my "feel" for the controls, and seem at first glance to offer at least decent palm and knuckle protection. As I currently ride in motocross gloves, these are without a doubt a step up.

Anyone have either of these items? I know they are not top of the protection pyramid, but are they worth anything at all? I'm tryin to work with the "best gear in the world will not save me hanging in my closet" theory, but at the same time, if they do as much good as a denim jacket and cheap gloves, then what's the point?
Glad you are going to start wearing gear. The Joe Rocket mesh are decent jackets, although they won't offer much in the line of protection if you end up on the ground. I haven't heard of the gloves.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
DanQ is offline  
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 07:03 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 155
When i was learning all i could on gear i decided not to get anything but leather and am happy with it. Why doesn't your's fit well? I'd get rid of it and find one that does.

I wear mine all summer long, it has great vents that cool me off fast when i am moving.

Good luck.
Don't be a
LadyBandit12S is offline  
 
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 04:56 AM
Strength and Honor
 
kanwisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Central IN
Posts: 6,144
I've heard of Rev-It but don't recall the ups and downs. But who cares? Look, it would seem generally true that if the gear doesn't fit you comfortably you won't wear it; you're not alone. And ANY gear is better than none. So, if you have VERY limited options for trying stuff on locally, then that's what I'd get if I were you.

However, I would suggest calling up Newenough.com and talking with them about your sizing issues. They have a pretty good deal with regard to exchanging sizes and are very friendly and helpful on the phone. They certainly strive to meet your fit needs and given that you have something to compare to, they might be able to cross-recommend based on those experiences. Thus, they might be able to offer recommendations with better protection for not much more $.

HTH

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
kanwisch is offline  
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
Quote:
i decided not to get anything but leather and am happy with it. Why doesn't your's fit well? I'd get rid of it and find one that does.
It actually fits exactly like it should, I really can't complain about the fit. I find it uncomfortable because it's so heavy

I had heard so much about Alpinestar and their leathers that I took a drive to the closest cycle center that carries them around here, and tried every style of leather they had there on, and couldn't find one I liked enough to even consider. Same with the Rev-it leathers.

Most of the textile jackets I've had on just seemed to ... I don't know ... to much like just a jacket? Not a nice, even, tight fit. I don't know how to explain it Don't get me wrong, I'm not making these purchases tomorrow or anything, so I've got a few more months of cold weather to shop around. Anyway, I still need boots and "pants" ... I haven't even started to look at those yet!!!
SpykeGirlzR6 is offline  
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
Quote:
if you have VERY limited options for trying stuff on locally,
Yes and no, locally there's not much close ... or rather, not much that has different stuff from everyone else. But if I drive a little, there's a lot more down near the city ... so they will be my next stops.

Quote:
I would suggest calling up Newenough.com and talking with them about your sizing issues.
I'll be honest, I'd be hesitant about a jacket that I couldn't try on first ... BUT, that's actually a great idea for the gloves. I'm not really even sure what it is I should be looking for in a glove. I'm hoping to find one that offers wrist and knuckle coverage, but for the palms .. I don't even know what is considered good or trash .. and I need it to be "thin" (bad wording) enough to not knock out my felling for the throttle and such.

And here I thought this gear stuff was gonna be simple! The only thing I am sure of is my next helmet!!!
SpykeGirlzR6 is offline  
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 03:45 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 892
remember most of the gear you get will be most comfortable while ON the bike. it wont feel quite right while off the bike walking around. but it should be bearable.
Meat_Shield is offline  
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 05:02 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally posted by SpykeGirlzR6

I'll be honest, I'd be hesitant about a jacket that I couldn't try on first ... BUT, that's actually a great idea for the gloves. I'm not really even sure what it is I should be looking for in a glove. I'm hoping to find one that offers wrist and knuckle coverage, but for the palms .. I don't even know what is considered good or trash .. and I need it to be "thin" (bad wording) enough to not knock out my felling for the throttle and such.

And here I thought this gear stuff was gonna be simple! The only thing I am sure of is my next helmet!!!
What helmet are you getting? Love shopping when you know exactly what will fit you!

I can only really say for what i have. I love my gloves but in under 40' hands get a lil brrrr...but they were still good when it was HOT summertime. The boots i sat on my bike and shifted a bit before i even bought them and my jacket i got New on Ebay afer talking to many places over the phone getting measurments all around. I still would like some pants. UGH is all i have to say, to long of legs.....lol

Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stealth pursuit icon.jpg (4.5 KB, 82 views)
LadyBandit12S is offline  
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
Quote:
What helmet are you getting?
I'm going to get the Shoei TZ-R, probably in basic white. I love Shoei helmets, I love the way they fit my little head!! They are all I have ever owned

I'm also going to grab a KBC TK-8 Predator. I tired one of these on in a shop I was in, and was amazed at how well it fit. I figure it won't hurt to have a second helmet, and anyway, the white & red one will match my cruiser even if it looks odd with the R6.

What gloves are they? They look pretty sturdy!
SpykeGirlzR6 is offline  
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 05:36 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally posted by SpykeGirlzR6
I'm going to get the Shoei TZ-R, probably in basic white. I love Shoei helmets, I love the way they fit my little head!! They are all I have ever owned

I'm also going to grab a KBC TK-8 Predator. I tired one of these on in a shop I was in, and was amazed at how well it fit. I figure it won't hurt to have a second helmet, and anyway, the white & red one will match my cruiser even if it looks odd with the R6.

What gloves are they? They look pretty sturdy!
Very nice helmets! The gloves are Icon Pursuit's in stealth, i got the solid without all the lil holes. I had to try on a lot of gloves and had many different ones fit in different sizes but these felt the best for comfort and protection in my opinion.
LadyBandit12S is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome