2pc Full Zip or Suit? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Question 2pc Full Zip or Suit?

So I'm considering getting out on the track very soon. I have street leathers that I enjoy on 'spirited' weekends. The likelihood of me using these new leathers on the street will be slim, though possible.

I don't have a track specific bike, but I've been to the track and have been very temped to go out, but I don't have the leathers. So I'm planning now to go out a couple of times next summer. And the summer after, and the summer after... you get the idea.

I'm looking into track leathers and there seems to be a growing number of 2pc full zip and suits for women now. And I've found some of both that I like. But why would I want a 1 pc suit over a 2pc? Or for that matter what advantages does a full suit provide verses the 2 pc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 01:26 PM

Ups and downs
Perhaps minor chance, but the chance exists to have a 2 piece split at the zipper when you go down. I have heard of some tracks not letting 2 pieces on the track, but never seen it.

2 piece is easier to run around in. Unzip the top and you have pants only. 2 P is also easier to go to the bathroom in. A LOT easier.

Plenty of people have crashed in a 2P and had no probs. If it isn't a designated track only suit as you don't go every weekend and you are looking to get podium finishes, usually a 2P is plenty.

There is usually a bit of a proce difference as well.

They also do fit a bit different from each other, but you can get custom 2P as well as a custom 1P, so.....
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 05:30 AM
Strength and Honor

I'm drawn to pickup a one-piece mainly because the overlap of the pants and jacket jab me in the ribs and hip bones when I'm crouched under the screen. A proper set of one-piece leathers, I've heard, eliminates that issue.

The 2-piece splitting is a disadvantage I've heard elsewhere as well, but never seen anyone write about actually seeing/experiencing it. The up side to a 2-piece, as mentioned, is its versatility. If cost is a big consideration you're probably better off with the 2-piece initially. Ironically, after my first experience on the track with a 2-piece, I had planned to put up for a 1-piece but my financial forecasts suggest all my money will be spent going to the track, so I won't have any $ for the new leathers

Another advantage of the one-piece is that they often come with the speed hump, which can protect you from neck-snap in a crash and I've never seen those on two-piece units.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
I'm drawn to pickup a one-piece mainly because the overlap of the pants and jacket jab me in the ribs and hip bones when I'm crouched under the screen.
I was curious about that. I have street leather and the pants do jab a bit and can get uncomfortable after a lot of saddle time.

Since I'm not racing I'm leaning toward a 2pc for the benefit everyone else has mentioned. My concern now is comfort and fit. Since there aren't a lot of options in women's suits I'm probably going to try the couple that fit in my price range and go with what fits best regardless of 1pc or 2pc.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 10:53 AM

Hey chick, whats up?

If you are not going to race, I would probably go with a 2 pc, so they can pull double duty, like the bike. Many people ride with 2 pc leathers from Novice all the way through advanced. Just make sure they have the 360 degree zipper on them. Personally, I use a 1 pc, but I don't do too much street riding anymore.

Check the redline board next spring as we have a pretty good size group of trackday junkies, and we would love to add to it. Most of us have 2 or 3 place trailers if your bike needs a tow as well.

Later

Jon

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

"Hold my beer, watch this"

Redline Superbike Member
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Hey Jon,

Thanks for the input. I am leaning toward a 2pc for my first track leathers. Should I find myself with more track time than street time I'll probably invest in a 1pc.

The hardest part is still finding a high quality leathers that fit well on me. Women are slowing becoming more and more seen in sportbiking but we're still not a large enough percent to really have the manufacturer's full support.

I'll keep an eye out for your track day events! Thanks for the heads up.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 06:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Quote:
Originally posted by chickonabike
Hey Jon,

Thanks for the input. I am leaning toward a 2pc for my first track leathers. Should I find myself with more track time than street time I'll probably invest in a 1pc.

The hardest part is still finding a high quality leathers that fit well on me. Women are slowing becoming more and more seen in sportbiking but we're still not a large enough percent to really have the manufacturer's full support.

I'll keep an eye out for your track day events! Thanks for the heads up.
Customer leathers? I know some women with the same difficulty of finding leathers, they spent a few bucks more and got the fit, colors, and design they wanted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Hey everyone's opinion is welcome, that's why I started this thread! I may end up with custom leathers, but I would rather start with decent leathers and have them altered as needed.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chickonabike
I may end up with custom leathers, but I would rather start with decent leathers and have them altered as needed.
There is a place down here by Detroit that will make any pair of pants and jacket into a 2 piece suit. I'm sure they will also do full alterations. The place is M&M Cleaners located in Keego Harbor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode