Glove Question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Glove Question

I was wondering if there was a vast difference in performance between gauntlet or short cuff styles. Im new to riding and am trying to figure out what to buy. If anyone has an affordable product recommendation for me fell free to chime in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 01:07 PM

Re: Glove Question

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertFox
I was wondering if there was a vast difference in performance between gauntlet or short cuff styles. Im new to riding and am trying to figure out what to buy. If anyone has an affordable product recommendation for me fell free to chime in.
Go for the gauntlet every time. It helps to prevent your wrist from contacting the ground in a fall.

If you're ever in doubt about what style of gear is safest, just look at the racing world.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 01:29 PM

I agree with cookeetree. Look to the race world for recs on safety gear. Going with gauntlet style is the safest bet for sure. I'm in Dallas, and sometimes my hands get too hot in the full gloves, so I have a short pair with more mesh except for on the knuckles for hot days and I wear gauntlet style when i know I'll be riding hard.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigdogab
I agree with cookeetree. Look to the race world for recs on safety gear. Going with gauntlet style is the safest bet for sure. I'm in Dallas, and sometimes my hands get too hot in the full gloves, so I have a short pair with more mesh except for on the knuckles for hot days and I wear gauntlet style when i know I'll be riding hard.
No offence, but you just contradicted yourself. You wear gauntlet-style gloves except for when it's hot. Racers use the same protection regardless of the weather, as do I.

"Sweat is easier to replace than blood."

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 01:41 PM

Yeah I know...I thought about that when I was writing it...It may not make a lot of sense from the safety perspective , but thats what I do.

Last edited by bigdogab; 04-06-2007 at 01:44 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks your advice along with some more research has led me decide on gauntlet style gloves. Any idea on what brand, model, or basic composition/ construction I should be looking for. That is, while keeping in mind that I am a college student budget and don't want to have to skimp when it comes to buying a helmet. As bad as it may sound I think it would be better to wear more budget gear in places other than my head if I can help it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertFox
Thanks your advice along with some more research has led me decide on gauntlet style gloves. Any idea on what brand, model, or basic composition/ construction I should be looking for...
You're welcome.

Not really sure what's available to you ove there and what it's worth. US-based members will be of more assistance there.

Check out some stuff online and go into the shops to try it on.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 08:48 AM

i own the icon timax glives but i looked around a little and i dont think they continued the line. you can probably find them for cheaper now that they have discontinued them. i like the floating knuckles. they sruvived my crash with almost no damage...and a few laydowns previous. oh, there great road rage gloves. run the titanium knuckes down the side of the car to give them something to remember you by...if your into that hahaha!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 11:07 AM

I wear Teknic Violator Pro's. They are quite comfortable and come pre-curved to fit the grip. Only downside I've noticed (and this may be a purely personal thing) is that the left palm tends to wear through in a year or so.

Look up NewEnough.com and see what's in stock there. Good prices and excellent service.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

It's interesting. Gauntlets are becoming less available than they once were. The Europian (and racing crowd) is leaning towards glove in jacket over jacket in glove lately. This was discussed in a recent motorcycle magazine. One of the reasons being the racers are having more crashes with their hands behind them than in front (remember the studded palms that all but went away?). Problem is, you have to have a jacket that is made for that style glove.

Me... I prefer a gauntlet almost always. But, they are getting harder to find.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode