Time for a new jacket. Leather or Textile? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Question Time for a new jacket. Leather or Textile?

It's time to get a new jacket, but I can't decide; Do I get another textile jacket or make the switch to leather?

I prefer the look and fit of leather and I know they afford you better protection, but how are they as an all-round jacket when it comes to weather?

I ride all year in temps ranging from 40F to high-90's and also ride rain, hail or shine (okay, maybe not hail ). My current textile jacket has kept me bone dry in everything but the biggest of downpours, which is great.
  • To what degree are leather jackets waterproof? (I don't really want to have to stop to put a raincoat on over my jacket.)
  • When leather does get wet, does it take days to dry or will it dry out during the day while I'm at work and be ready for me to wear home 12 hours later???
  • If I go leather, what features should I be looking for to get the best for my buck?

All help greatly appreciated, guys, so bring it on. Thanks in advance.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 02:55 PM

leather does well, untill you encounter a terrential downpour. Expect a jacket to last about 30 minutes in those conditions before turning you into a popsickle. The jacket should dry within a few hours, but will be hard to put on after it dries, as it will be tough. Should break back in over a few minutes
Leather are great in the cold, but get pretty toasty in the sun.

When shopping looks for CE approved armor, tripple stiching, and that soft neoprene like material in the collar.

Also, it pays to have a perforated and a non perforated jacket.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
leather does well, untill you encounter a terrential downpour. Expect a jacket to last about 30 minutes in those conditions before turning you into a popsickle...

...Also, it pays to have a perforated and a non perforated jacket...
Yeah, I was afraid of that.

I can't really justify buying two jackets, so I need to find something that will keep me reasonably warm, but won't boil me at the same time. I'm happy to sweat a bit, but don't want it to be uncomfortable, you know what I mean? I don't want to need a shower every time i take it off.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:08 PM

It really depends on the wether. When temps get to the 110 region, it really doesnt matter what kind of jacket you are wearing, or if you are wearing one.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
leather does well, untill you encounter a terrential downpour. Expect a jacket to last about 30 minutes in those conditions before turning you into a popsickle. The jacket should dry within a few hours, but will be hard to put on after it dries, as it will be tough. Should break back in over a few minutes
Leather are great in the cold, but get pretty toasty in the sun.

When shopping looks for CE approved armor, tripple stiching, and that soft neoprene like material in the collar.

Also, it pays to have a perforated and a non perforated jacket.
I've not had a big rain issue but this makes sense.

The areas I ride can get down below 0F and above 100F with humidities in the high 90%'s. To date I've never not ridden due to heat so my opinion is leather is fine. I have leather pants and a perf'd jacket and wear UnderArmor heat gear and travel, routinely, at 60mph+ so there's a bit of an advantage there. IIRC, you have the same travel speeds, roughly.

Textile just doesn't give me the same warm fuzzies leather does

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
...The areas I ride can get down below 0F and above 100F with humidities in the high 90%'s. To date I've never not ridden due to heat so my opinion is leather is fine. I have leather pants and a perf'd jacket and wear UnderArmor heat gear and travel, routinely, at 60mph+ so there's a bit of an advantage there. IIRC, you have the same travel speeds, roughly.

Textile just doesn't give me the same warm fuzzies leather does
We don't get down that low, but we get similar, humid conditions. I sweat like heck in my current gear, but that may also have something to do with the WINTER pants I wear. I only have the one pair, so I wear them all year. I've been wanting to get some lighter pants for a while, but it's hard to come up with the cash when you've just built a house.

I'm really leaning towards leather, I just want to know that I'm not going to drown when it's wet.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 07:21 PM

You can treat your leathers to where they are softer & easier to break in PLUS making them waterproof.

Basically I am a textile man from waxed cotten gear way back in '48 to some of the products now being produced. The straight cut leathers I wore in my late teens & early 20s seems to have shrunk, well not really for I have become more like a pear in body shape no matter how I excercise.

Jacket in leather would have to be custom made due to the depth of my chest area (sort of developed over my various sports) & that I am stooped so it is textile for this old sod.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Cookee...

I'd recommend textile. Many of them come with rain liners, and most have some simple armor. I'd add back armor (I've actually gotten to like mine so much I wear it on any kind of longer ride). Leather is a sentimental favorite, but the textiles are here to stay. At least for the street.

Now for the track... nothing but leather and hard armor.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by DanQ
Cookee...

I'd recommend textile. Many of them come with rain liners, and most have some simple armor. I'd add back armor (I've actually gotten to like mine so much I wear it on any kind of longer ride). Leather is a sentimental favorite, but the textiles are here to stay. At least for the street.

Now for the track... nothing but leather and hard armor.
Yeah, I'm thinking textile is going to suit my everday, all-weather riding better, I'm just having an "I'd really like a leather jacket" moment.

Guess I'll hit the shops and try on a few of each and look into it a bit more.

Thanks, all, for your various comments.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode