Balaclava - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Balaclava

Can anyone suggest a windproof balaclava, I have been looking on the internet but was wondering if anyone had any experience with a certain brand they may like. I gotta have a wind proof one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 10:12 PM

I bought one a while ago and it's pretty lame. Not only is it a pain in the ass to take on and off, it's also hard to get right when pulling over your helmet. Also due to it being so thin it was far from wind proof. I would think your chances of finding one that would be wind proof and comfortable under a helmet would be hard to come by. However, I have used a lot of hunting equipment to get me through the cold months. I assume your neck is getting really cold? I have a black neck gaiter like THIS. It's much easier to deal with than a balaclava. If you get a decent fleece one it should be pretty much wind proof.

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 11:06 AM

Both the "snug like tube" & the "gaiter" for the neck are ideal. Check with snowmobike firms or skiing shops. Though my first "gater" for the neck was at a snowmobile firm.

For most of my riding years (that would be 60 yrs) I have always used a wash basin size towel that I carry under the saddle or in the tank bag which becomes what the Brits & Cdns would call a "muffler". I might take off early in the morning, during sensible riding weather, & wear it to & from said 5 to 8 hr run, but if warmer & the mornings are cool so comming back the short towel is in the tank bag.

Besides if it rains the towel stops rain from going down into the neck at the back or wherever.

If you are feeling the blast of the cold air around the face then buy a LARGE bandana & wear it like the cowboys did when herding cattle for I am sure you have seen this in Western Movies. Though personally said diaper shape gives me twice the cotton that goes UNDER my nose & around to the back of the neck while the rest dangling is tucked under the helmet strap. You will be amazed at the cold air NOT going up into your head or the helmet.

I have been doing this as well for most of my riding years. Fact is way back in '52 I was importing German climing gear for the future Sport Shop & saw such bandanas listed in colourful fashions. Only a few of the customers bought them, but since it was my purchase I took what was left, being five, with me when I sold out of the shop AND so they are still being used. Yes they have lasted all of 54 yrs & used each spring & autumn.

Last note is that I keep my mouth open & breath through the doubled cotton & so little out my nose which means I do not fog up the inside of the visor or my glasses & bit warmer weather I just have it below the lower lip so as to ward off the cold air.

Last edited by Smitty; 02-20-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode