Icon Bling - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Question Icon Bling

Hello everyone.

I was in the market for a new leather jacket and came across an Icon Neo Daytona ‘Bling’ ($170). I was just curious if anyone has this or has seen it in person. Does the picture do justice? I mean is it good, bad or ugly looks/safety wise? I was also looking at the matching Bling helmet ($129). What do you folks think about this combination? Is the ‘Icon’ brand reliable ‘quality’ wise or is this jacket/helmet only for looks? Mind you, I’m more interested in protecting myself, being a relatively new rider, style comes in second. Feedback appreciated

Last edited by Sparda; 02-07-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 01:03 PM

Why does your post come off more like an ad than a query from a biker???

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
Why does your post come off more like an ad than a query from a biker???
Hmm Why would I advertise anything? Well now that I read my post again, I guess saying ‘closeout’ & ‘retail’ does sound little like an ad. But seriously, I’m just looking for some new gear, thus looking for some pro opinions since this topic didn’t show up in the search results. I just stated the price b/c its sorta cheap and was wondering if it's worth the value. If it was an ad, I would have listed some website to buy it off right? But its not.

Sorry if this post sounds weird; it’s my first time posting here! If needed I’ll try to rephrase my post.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparda
Hmm Why would I advertise anything? Well now that I read my post again, I guess saying ‘closeout’ & ‘retail’ does sound little like an ad. But seriously, I’m just looking for some new gear, thus looking for some pro opinions since this topic didn’t show up in the search results. I just stated the price b/c its sorta cheap and was wondering if it's worth the value. If it was an ad, I would have listed some website to buy it off right? But its not.

Sorry if this post sounds weird; it’s my first time posting here! If needed I’ll try to rephrase my post.
No worries, it just sounded a bit ad-like. Don't stress.

Perhaps you should introduce yourself in the New Riders forum...

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 03:24 PM

Icon makes descent quality stuff. The helmets are actually HJC's rebadged. That would put them somewhere about 2/3's up the ladder. They are better quality than the cheapies like zeus and bell, but not quiete up to par with the heavy weights like shoei, arai and suomi.
Their grear does what it advertises well, but it doesnt advertise much. In other words, Icon does not sell track gear. Its meant for light street use, but it handles those duties well, quality stitching, and good comfort. They also have the largest selection of styles.
For my money, I'd pick up a race jacket from technik or alpinestar. One that offers precut sleeves, leather exterior, CE approved armor in elbows, shoulders, and a back protector, together with a higher range helmet. However this is a personal decision, I'll sacrifice some style/comfort for more protection because falling hurts more than dressing like racer X.

While you are out looking for gear, dont forget about gloves, boots and pants. Gloves are second in importance only to the helmet. Roadrash on your back sucks, but not being able to use your hands will put a serious hamper on your life. The tendants in your hands are only about an 1/8th below the skin, and they heal very slowly.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

On a side note, I did pick on a pair of quality gloves when I bought my bike. Also, I found a good deal on a pair of ‘Oxtar TCS’ racing boots last week and ordered it. How would you guys say these boots hold up against the competition? I hope I made a wise decision on these. Glad to hear Icon is a well know brand. I might just look more into their collection. If anyone has Icon ‘Bling’ gear, I’d love to hear how well it does on the road. Thx for the feedback thus far
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 06:16 AM

Oxtars are good boots for the $$.

I have an Icon Retro Daytona jacket. Same cut as the bling one. It's great for the street. I have no complaints at all. I'm complemented on it all the time.

I don't wear it on the track though, for that, I have a J.R. 2pc suit.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:29 AM

I got a pair of oxtar tcs boots. They are great. I imagine sidi's is a better product, but for at least twice the cost. The oxtars are comfortable to ride in, flow lots of air, offer very good protection. The sliders are replaceble. The only complaint I got is that the linear guides on the ankles squeek a good deal when you walk. I'm told that if you use the silicone lubricant that comes with the boots (which I did) it only makes the noise worse, and that chain grease works well to silence (which I havent tried).

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

I was looking around online and just noticed that Oxtar has two types of racing boots. Oxtar TCS EVO TI Racing Boots AND Oxtar TCS Sport Racing Boots. I couldn’t figure out the differences except a little design change, safety and price? They look almost identical in my opinion. Does anyone know the primary differences and whether spending $100 more on the EVO over the regular TCS is worth the price?

Oxtar TCS EVO TI Racing Boots

Oxtar TCS Sport Racing Boots
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 02:48 PM

i have sidi boots and swear by them.. wouldnt go with anything else.. just my opinion.. where bouts in ohio ya from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode