This weekend I put on a new set of pilot power 2ct with a 190/50 rear and a 120/70 front. My previous 3 sets of tires have been diablo 180/55 and 120/70. I havent ridden the new tires for very long, they got maybe 10 miles on them, and havent seen anything over 40mph yet. So I'll post up more when I have a chance to beat the crap out of them.
The first thing I've noticed was how much rubber there is on the shoulders of the rear tire. Unlike the triarc profiles I'm used to, this one seems more like an arc with two tangent sides. Once the tire is tipped over, you contact patch is a full 2-3" wide. Thats confidence.
When riding with them, the rear seems to be slightly less tip in friendly than the taller diablo. It takes a touch more effort to lean the bike in, with more stability in the straight. Once leaned, the tires are incredibly stable. It almost feels like the bike has 3 settings, streight, leaned left, and leaned right. It just leans and sticks there. Bonus for lots of confidence, the bad part (I think) is that it would be harder to fine tune your turn radius with lean angle, small corrections may prove to be hard to do.
Wether its a sideeffect of the new (still slick) tires, or (more likely) the different tire size, the front tire seems to want to ride wider than I'm used to. I dont know if its not grabbing good, or if its just a different profile or (most likely) that the shorter rear tire resulted in more rake/trail. Either way, the front consistently ran wide, on every single corner on the way to work.
And still, they make me feel very confident that I would be able to handle that, even if the front was in fact sliding a touch.
Another side note. When changing diablos, the bead would seat at approx 15-20 psi. Not having an air compressor (and if anyone just has to get me something for xmas...
) I normally use the little cheapy ones at the convinience store. Works fine for diablos, but couldnt do a thing on the pilot powers. In fact when I got to a real compressor, I had to air them past the max rating on the gage (60 psi) before the tires would seat. The smaller comressor couldnt push enough air to get the sides to seal enough to get any pressure to build up in there at all.
More later.... Throw in your thoughts...