"Tyre Down" - Bike tie-down - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up "Tyre Down" - Bike tie-down

Saw this product advertised in the latest edition of two Wheels magazine. Does away with the need for bar straps or compressing of shocks!

Click me for link to website.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:31 PM

Seems like a solution in search of a problem. Sure, you dont need a barstrap anymore, but how much does one of those things cost you (and you'll need 2). And whats the problem with compressing the forks?

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Seems like a solution in search of a problem...
I disagree. It's an alternative solution to an existing problem. Also, you only use one, on the rear.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 06:41 AM

Alternative, yes. But frankly I just dont see an advantage, unless by some miracle its cheaper than a canyon dancer.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 06:48 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Looks neat I guess, but the first thing I see (and I could be completely wrong) is a possibly sharp metal edge cutting into my tire with every bump of the road. It needs a rubber lining or something where it contacts the tire, but otherwise it looks ok.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 06:54 AM

Canyon dancer: $27USD
TyreDown: $175USD

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Canyon dancer: $27USD
TyreDown: $175USD
You could never expect that it was going to be anywhere near the same cost. Compare the costs of the materials used and the fact that these are being made in low volumes and in a country that doesn't have a minimum wage.

Spicersh - I couldn't imagine them being on the market if there was any risk they'd damage your tyre. If you look at the pic's, you'll see that the edge is curved up.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 12:52 PM

Thats exactly my point cookie, If the product doesnt perform any better, how can anyone possibly justify a much higher price?

I know that you happen to be a fan of the 636, but would you pay $52,000 for an equivalent model that wasnt any better in anyway at all?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 12:55 PM

Looks like the harness I use to keep my Balls off the floor. OUCH!
Have you guys had any bad results from compressing your shocks?
I havn't, but I have heard of people tweaking out the clip ons etc..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 12:57 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree

Spicersh - I couldn't imagine them being on the market if there was any risk they'd damage your tyre. If you look at the pic's, you'll see that the edge is curved up.
Possibly, but in my experience: metal rubbing on almost anything results in the metal winning. And with the force people would likely apply with those ratchet straps I would bet the metal, curved or not, would still be biting into the tire a bit. I'm not saying the thing is a flop in design, it's just not complete. I would personally put some sort of cushion for the tire contact surface.

Vash does raise a valid point though on price. If the end result is the same, why pay 6 times more?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode