Shoei X-11 fogging - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Shoei X-11 fogging

I've had this helmet for quite a while and still don't regret my purchase. That said it has a habit of doing something worse than my old RF900: internal fogging.

The mornings that have fog as an issue are colder mornings (typically below 58F). The system setup to deal with this includes a vent at the chin level and one at the top of the forehead. While those work for traveling at 60mph+, they're worthless under that speed. And if you yawn or heave a heavy breath for whatever reason, you're screwed. The only solution, really, is to open the shield a crack, but then you face freezes.

The breath guard has no significant value because it depends on you breathing through your mouth, which most people try to avoid on the cold mornings since the increased humidity makes your face (and forehead) even colder.

The chin curtain does a good job of keeping my chin and face warmer, but also reduces the defogging effect designed into the helmet. So, again, you're forced to open the lid a crack which partially defeats the point of having the curtain in the first place.

Having to crack the shield one notch can be offset slightly by looking more through the top of the shield which causes the air to divert around the shield and thus reduce the freezing effect.

This morning I played with the settings and found I like actually SHUTTING the lower vent and riding at >70mph (indicated). It was enough to keep it reasonably clear, barring heavy breaths. I wonder if that'd be a viable excuse for speeding

I haven't tried any of the anti-fogging solutions on the market yet but will get some before next season and try to remember to add to this with any helpful hints. Recommendations are always welcome

One last thing: on these cold mornings I always close the two vents at the top and back of the lid since in the past I've discovered this helps to force air across the face shield rather than diverting it across my face and head. It also keeps things nice and warm.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:31 AM

Mine are the older Shoei helmets of RF800 & used the same system below on prior helmets.

I have a large bandanna, fold it like a diaper & tie it from just under my nose to back of my head. Sort of like Hollywood cowboy style in moving cattle though in so called robberies they covered the nose part.

The above stops anything from fogging up inside which also includes my glasses.

I do let my mouth stay open a bit so take in air from nose & mouth to even tuck the lower lip over my lower lips which makes a shift in any exhailing being sort of down & to the bandanna.

Have used this system since way back in '48 when I realized at the start of Grand Prix road racing the racers dit the same only a much deater set-up & it paid off when road racing in the Autumn so went onto my regular tuck around that part of the face with goggles & tweed cap rather then summer use of a baret for we did not weat helmets way back then for normal riding.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 03:25 PM

Foggy Mask

This is what I use. It's basically a more expensive version of Smitty's solution. I really like it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Thanks you two.

That solution is just what I was looking for and I, of course, must get the gadget

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LVJT
Foggy Mask

This is what I use. It's basically a more expensive version of Smitty's solution. I really like it.
My helmet has something like that built into it, held by velcro. It kinda works, kinda doesn't. Heavy breaths, like kanwisch mentioned, still create fog on cold mornings.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 07:22 PM

I tend to just leave my visor cracked in hot or cold, or freezing weather (I know, freezing in FL is about 30 degrees and only at sunrise) but still. I know its not a solution for you all. The bandana idea sounds the best, or there is a chemical treatment you can put on your visor, kinda like rain off, that keeps fog from forming as easy. I can't find it as of now, but will post a link if I come across it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 09:42 PM

run the pin-lock set up, they work amazing. I don't know where you are located but we sell them at Iron Pony. Shield is 39.99 and the insert is 29.99. If you order online the insert is 26.99 and the shield is 36.99. Here are the links to them.

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/Product.asp/ProdID/132697/ImageName/SHOEISPECTRASHIELD.JPG&Kitkey2=FACE%20SHIELDS&Bran d=SHOEI&Class2=Helmets&Class3=Face%20Shields&Class 1=STREET%20PRODUCTS

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/Product.asp/ProdID/132699/ImageName/SHOEI-PINLOCK.jpg&Kitkey2=PIN-LOCK%20SHIELD%20INSERT&Brand=SHOEI&Class2=Helmets& Class3=Face%20Shields&Class1=STREET%20PRODUCTS

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions hit me up on AIM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode