Winter Gear - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Winter Gear

hay there ladies and gentlemen, i need some suggestion on what type of winter gear to get, jacket, pants, gloves, etc.... any help would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 04:53 PM

Heated grips from Dual Stars because they're always on your bike when you need'em. Anything that covers your neck and chin. Layers, layers, layers.
I have Joe rocket Alter ego pants and with the rain liner in, they work great over jeans etc. down to mid 20's.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 06:15 PM

GERBINGS!!!!!! Get the jacket. Wear long johns (polartec fleece) under most any over pants. Either Gerbings gloves or Cabela's has some decent looking heavily insulated gauntlet gloves .And a good windproof balaclava.
How cold do you want to go?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

im looking to go into the low 30's, not to much lower then that, i just checked out the Gerbings stuff and that seems like the stuff im looking for, i thank you guys for you input
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:16 AM

Have you taken into consideration the wind-chill factor when riding a m/c for believe me it IS really chilling to freezing. Then to the grip by the tyres is not what it is like in Spring to Autumn weather.

Also does the road or hwy people apply salt & sand for grip of cage drivers when snow is on for just a few hrs? That to can be deadly for grit, sand, salt will make bends or stop sign places tricky for a m/c rider to stay up PLUS thesalt, sand & some snow will eat into the paint & alloys of the bike.

They are JUST finding out some of the over-under roads in some parts of Canada are crumbling not after 35 yrs of use, but in their teens & much of this has to do with salt/sand.

Lastly you had best purchase a Battery Tender from $30.00 to $35.00 to be plugged in once home from the ride SO the drain on the battery (starting being the greatest) will still fire up the bike without to much trouble or be a dead battery.

An additional bit is that you can purchase electric vests, to gloves to even sort of chaps---vests & chaps go under your outer clothing. In my case as living in the southern part of B.C. when freezing or close to it comes ----that is when I winterize the bikes. You are riding & enjoying the day only on comes a part shaded by some trees or whatever & suddenly the bikes goes out from under you. Do not say "what the 'ell" but look for the BLACK ICE that sent you flying.

Some thoughts from one that has been riding for 60yrs!!!!!

Last edited by Smitty; 10-26-2006 at 01:31 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 01:13 PM

I've got a pair of Dririder Nordic pants that have kept me warm in temps down to around 35F.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 09:28 AM

It depends on the condition of weather in you r area but i think glove is best than others.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 04:19 PM

Alpinestars has a decent insulated glove that I found, waterproof too iirc, good if you live around here were it rains all winter. Other than that make sure anything you have can block wind and wear layers. Nothing sucks more than sweating when its below 40 degrees, you will freeze your balls off. Also do not forget the dangers of ice with motorcycles, especially sportbikes, we have no self balancing system, so loss of traction can screw you up bad. Good luck, and keep the rubber side down.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

I thank you guys for your input, you have been very helpful, i plan on riding untill they start laying down all the salt and stones for ice and snow, the temp. gets down to about 30 at the lowest before i put the moto away so im not getting into the really cold stuff, thanks, you guys are kings among men
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 05:46 AM

I just purchased...

...a Joe Rocket 6.0 Ballistic....mix that with some Polar Tec undergarments and I should be fine in the sub 30 degree category!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode