leathers question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

leathers question

so i want to start hittin the track after a trackday and dont want to wear the rented digs or try to zip my textile jacket into a pair of pants. SO, i need some leathers. i like the idea of a 2 piece in case i just want to grab the jacket when i go around town, but also have the pants when it comes down to go fast time. Is a 2 piece suit a good buy, or should i be looking at 1 piece suits. Also some good names of makers would be a big help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 08:59 AM

Depends on your budjet.

Vanson makes the best suits imo. Dainse stuff is really good too.

Teknic makes decent suits for reasonable prices, and so does J.R.

Two pices suits work fine, but there is always a chance that the zipper will come apart and leave you more vulnerable in a crash.

Good luck trackin'
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by 98Gixxer750
Two pices suits work fine, but there is always a chance that the zipper will come apart and leave you more vulnerable in a crash.

Good luck trackin'
I've also heard that the two-pieces tend to bunch more at the midsection. Since I'm shooting for the Keith's school at MidOhio next year, I'm contemplating the one-piece thing too.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 10:02 PM

Question Re: leathers question + more

Quote:
Originally posted by CageTarget
so i want to start hittin the track after a trackday and dont want to wear the rented digs or try to zip my textile jacket into a pair of pants. SO, i need some leathers. i like the idea of a 2 piece in case i just want to grab the jacket when i go around town, but also have the pants when it comes down to go fast time. Is a 2 piece suit a good buy, or should i be looking at 1 piece suits. Also some good names of makers would be a big help.
I'm also considering a 2-piece J.R. GPX. I sort of get the feeling that I might be going overboard - not really sure. I don't want to mix and match a jacket with a pair of pants with only the small patch in the back. Anyone want to comment?

I'm also looking at a pair of SIDI Vertigo's since they seem to rate better than most everyone out there. Is this going way too far? Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to think that once I get more accustomed to my bike that I could dabble in some entry-level race training and see what the "hoopla" is all about.

Thanks in advance,

SD
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 04:49 AM

Nah, you're not going over board. You can never be too careful when it comes to track gear.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 04:56 AM
Strength and Honor

Vertigo's are on my list of new gear as well and they'll be used extensively on the street. Generally you should get the best quality you can afford regardless of where you're riding.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 12:37 AM

i have the alpine stars track pants and the (forgets name) alpine jaket to go along with them. doest bunch up on me at all, very comfortable. kinda pricey though. i think i spent 350 on the pants, and 450 on the jacket. i also like the ability to easily take my jacket off between sessions. get something the fits well, otherwise it will bunch up, and thats never fun.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 05:02 AM

Re: Re: leathers question + more

Quote:
Originally posted by SD40T-2
I'm also considering a 2-piece J.R. GPX. I sort of get the feeling that I might be going overboard - not really sure. I don't want to mix and match a jacket with a pair of pants with only the small patch in the back. Anyone want to comment?

I'm also looking at a pair of SIDI Vertigo's since they seem to rate better than most everyone out there. Is this going way too far? Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to think that once I get more accustomed to my bike that I could dabble in some entry-level race training and see what the "hoopla" is all about.

Thanks in advance,

SD
I have the GPX 2 peice suit and veritgo boots.. lovem both.. i really havent had time to get to the track but on the street they are great.. i would highly suggest goin with both.. i also use the jacket just around town when i dont want the pants on.. Just make sure you go to a shop and get fitted right.. that is the key!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 02:01 PM

Vanson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode