new rider, need gear - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

new rider, need gear

Well I am very new to riding(only 20 and first post on here)and i recently bought a 1996 cbr600f3. What a fun bike and very easy to learn...msf starts on september 10th. So with the clock ticking down on when i can finally ride(legally) i am looking at some gear. I think i am going to purchase the shoei RF1000 for the my lid...very comfortable and compared to the others i tried on the best fit.
this a good site?

next comes my jacket. I was only able to try on icon and joe rocket jackets at the store and know as i look online i find different ones that i like better(what a suprise). I want to stick to leather and this one cought my eyejacket . I have a red bike and i am getting a red helmet, what would all of you get the red honda jacket(or the gunmetal) or this black icon jacketicon . the other question i have is that icon comes in sizes(s/m/l/xl) and i found the mediums to fit me tightly at the store but joe rocket has sizes 40-48 how does that work?? I am up to any suggestions at all ,different jackets expecially and some reviews if anyone has had the chance to own anything that i am thinking of purchasing!!

thanks in advance
tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 03:43 PM

Check out http://www.newenough.com/ for motorcycle gear. They have the best prices anywhere. They also somewhat of a conversion chart between the number sizes and measurments. I would however try on anything you can at a local store before purchasing things online. You want leather to fit tight, so that it doesnt ride up your back in teh event of an accident. You also dont want the rubber armor moving around.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! i did go to the local shop to try on some leathers...but the variety just wasnt there and when you find a jacket you like, they dont have many different sizes for you to try on to find that perfect fit. kinda dissapointing considering they advertise themselves as the largest (riding) leather retailer in southern new england. I get the fealing that i am going to have to buy a jacket and hope that it fits because i havent seen one in a store yet that has cought my eye...no selection compared to the web. But from the icon and joe rocket jackets i had the chance to try on which were both larges(no number system in the store) and had just a little to much breathing room, so im figuring get a medium and hope for the best. Going to try to use the sizing chart to! thanks for anyones help

does anyone know what a large equals in the number sizing

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 04:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
i have the icon ti-max mesh jacket. ive tried on the large as well as the medium. the large fit better in the arms, but was too big everywhere else. the medium fit alot better, but is a tad snug in the arms. i kept the meduim. im 6'1 and 170lbs, so im kinda tall and slim so i fit between the large and medium sizes.

btw: i love the ti-max mesh jacket, bought from newenough.com on sale for 130.00 shipped 2nd day.

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 07:05 PM

I bought most of my stuff from that site, they had the best prices i found but i didnt look to much on newenough.com so they may beat em on some prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode