your opinions on these jackets - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Question your opinions on these jackets

Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum, just got a bike and I'm getting a little freaked out buying gear. I didn't really budget for gear and now I'm finding that was pretty stupid. I HAVE read a lot of posts about gear, and I've found some jackets on closeout that I think might work - give me your honest opinion. Sidenote, I will be mainly in city traffic and I will not normally take it over 100 MPH

JR 990 - I love the looks and price of this jacket, but I'm concerned it will be too hot in the summer - here in UTAH we have pretty high temps (100+ isn't common except for august) but it's dry heat - I don't know if this will have the ventilation I need http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_990_jacket_page.htm

JR Alter Ego - I like this one and it is marketed as an all season which would be great - fall and spring here gets pretty low, maybe around 40 before it's too cold or snowy to ride. http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_...acket_page.htm

Fieldsheer Speed Track - I don't know anything about this brand and it seems pretty cheap - too cheap? Fall apart cheap?
http://www.brocktoncycle.com/eshoppr...Jackets_Fi.htm

A* TZ-1 - I saw another thread saying good things about this and it might be available used on ebay for about $250. Alpinestars IMO are the sexiest in my pricerange (ie Joe Rocket, ICON, etc).
http://www.newenough.com/alpinestars...acket_page.htm
(the A* spinner looks sexy and a little cheaper any thoughts?)

Boots I'm thinking the Sidi Doha which will look nice and be comfortable enough for everyday use - anyone have an opinion on level of protection? Again it will be mostly city riding.
http://www.newenough.com/sidi_doha_boots_page.htm

Gloves are pretty inexpensive and it looks like I can find some good quality for under $50 - am I wrong?

I may wait on pants, depending on what I get for a jacket.

Also I prefer a milder but visible look - my bike has the retro look (Honda 919) and I would like a jacket that would fit the style without sacrificing protection or visibility.

I would appreciate your input, glad to be here!

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 11:46 AM

Nothing wrong with any of those jackets. I'd go with the 990. Can't beat leather for abrasion resistance.

As far as the boots, if they don't cover your ankle, they ain't worth squat. A lot of the guy/girls here swear by the race type boot, I've got nothing against them, but they don't fit into my budget, so I bought a pair of Tactical boots from a surplus store.

Gloves will probably cost you more than $50 for a good pair. Look for a guantlet style with kevler re-enforcement.

Don't over look pants. Your lower body is just as important as your upper. Think about it, do you want your family jewels sliding along the pavement unprotected at 40mph? I thought not.

Look to spend around $500 - $600 on your gear not including your helmet.

Good luck, and welcome to the board!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 11:56 AM

Jacket

Being from Colorado, a very similar climate to your own, I would stick to a textile-based jacket rather than leather. Granted, a thick leather jacket provides the best possible crash protection, but in terms of versatility, comfort (in both hot and cold conditions), and rain protection for those always-unexpected mountain thunderstorms, a textile jacket is the way to go. For example, I have a Fieldhseer jacket that comes with a removable winter liner for cold weather, lots of zip vents for hot weather, and it's waterproof too. I have literally worn it in every possible weather situation- from below freezing to 100+ degrees. That JR Alter-ego one would be my choice out of the ones you listed, but there are lots of textile jackets made by probably a dozen different companies that would be comparable.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 08:11 PM

elBradfordo-

Whats up, nice to see another Utah rider on here. Check out www.utahsba.com. Maybe we can meet up and ride some time.

Anyway, regardless of how it looks, It needs to fit comfortably. I went to plaza cycle and tried on a few jackets. I am a little bit stalky 5'11" 180. The Joe Rocket Jackets were way too tight in the upper arm / lat region. It was tough to bear just standing in the store, not to mention riding for a couple hours on the road. If you are less barrel chested, ie. tall or gangly, then it may fit alright. The jacket I went with is the Cortech Impulse

It fit me way better, is well vented and has removable sleeves and liner. It is available in black to suit your style- the black/white is a little brighter and looks good too. It is also track legal at MMSP. I think it will do well during Utah summers (at least we've turned the corner this year).

That fieldshear jacket looks pretty nice for the money. If it fits you then it might be worth it cause you can spend that extra money on some boots.

When I have the money I'm getting the Sidi Strada Evo AIR boots because they have nice protection and are well vented.

Just make sure when you get your jacket that it fits right. By this I mean that it should be TIGHT. Like a second skin so it doesn't slide up in a fall. (I've been there) Even though I am stalky, I fit in a Medium-42 in cortech. Go by the chest size they have listed.

If you need to take the msf in Utah the address is www.utahridered.com. I am taking the basic course weekend of Spet 23.
Good luck and GO UTES!!

Last edited by Liquified; 08-14-2006 at 08:14 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 05:09 AM
Strength and Honor

I'm a big downer on Fieldsheer service. Brockton is the only place that might be acceptable to purchase FS from since you can give them back the stuff when the seams break loose. Do a Search for more detail with my username and Fieldsheer.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 05:10 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by Liquified
When I have the money I'm getting the Sidi Strada Evo AIR boots because they have nice protection and are well vented.
What size? There was a guy here in town selling a pair of these and they were practically new.

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Thanks for your imputs, and thank Liquified for that link, there's alot more people riding in Utah than I thought! I found a great little shop here in Orem and the prices are amazing - http://www.motoxoutlet.com/ check it out. I'm thinking of going for the Reactor 2.0 because of the leather and the ventilation seems pretty good. I also have decided to get the Sidi Scorpion shoes if I can get them for a decent price

It seems most of the guys down in Utah County are s
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elBradfordo
There's alot more people riding in Utah than I thought!

It seems most of the guys down in Utah County are s
Ah yes, the "bubble." Its not just Utah county, I bet 80 percent of guys in town are NOT wearing helmets and alot have some little girl in shorts and a tank top on back... sigh. Once you get up in the canyons, most people are geared up though. I'll check that link.

Kanwisch, Haha you are like my personal moto-supply dealer now. Thank God for that shield you hooked me up with because my sunglasses broke and it is damn bright riding West in the afternoon.

I wear a 10 or 10.5 depending on the brand. I think thats a 44 in euro but I don't know how Sidi runs with sizes. Shoot me a PM if you find out anything. They have to be the AIR as well because it is flamin hot down here in July!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 05:19 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by Liquified
I wear a 10 or 10.5 depending on the brand. I think thats a 44 in euro but I don't know how Sidi runs with sizes. Shoot me a PM if you find out anything. They have to be the AIR as well because it is flamin hot down here in July!
Sorry dude, they aren't the Air's.

From his posting,
Quote:
They are a couple sizes too big for me (they are 46), I fit perfectly into a NIKE 10.5 running shoe or a sidi 44 mountain bike shoe.
I wear a 46 in Sidi and an 11EEE in regular shoes so Sidis actually run a bit small. You're probably looking for a 45 but if you haven't tried any on before, you might consider working with newenough.com first since you only have to pay shipping if you're wrong about your size. I'll keep my eyes peeled but these things don't come up very often.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 10:45 AM

Hey, thanks for looking anyway. I don't have the money to throw down right now anyway (on a tight budget). I am taking the msf in September which is $160, and just got that new jacket and gloves for 165 with shipping of Ebay which was a steal.

I am going with the Air's for sure because they don't have the waterproof liner (It hardly ever rains in Utah from June to November- which is snow) and the are perforated and extra vents (typically between 90 and 100 F from June through August).

Plus they are called "AIR" which just sounds cooler

-Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode