Just ordered some gear, still more to go, questions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Just ordered some gear, still more to go, questions

Hey, I just ordered some of my first gear pieces this last weekend. Alpinestars TZ1 Leather Jacket (red/black/white), Alpinestars SP1 leather gloves (black/red), and Shoei RF-1000 (black). Tried them on at the store then went home to ebay them and save $200 they are all new, too. speaking of which, how tight should the jacket be? i am 6'4 175 lbs, and my friend that helped me size it at the store said the 46 was best for me, which felt VERY snug, but ive never tried on a motorcycle jacket before so maybe its just normally like that.

Now im trying to decide what pants and boots to buy, as i didnt get a chance to try any on this weekend. I like the looks/reviews of the sidi vertigo boots (non-corsas), and i like how sidis have the little plastic shell over your ankle ball. but are they too much boot for a beginner, meaning is it pointless to spend so much on a first boot?

As for pants, I'm thinking about the alpinestars track pants, one of my roomates has them and likes them, any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 05:28 AM
Strength and Honor

Jackets and pants should fit snugly so that while you're sliding (rather than tumbling, hopefully) your gear doesn't ride up your body, thus exposing the soft pale skin.

I'd get pants that have a mating zipper to your jacket if you have any intention of doing a track day.

Sidi boots are my favorite but I'm thinking of trying A*s boots this next time around. Nothing wrong with Sidi but I've seen just as many good comments about the A*s. And in my opinion, there's not really a way to buy too much boot. Buy the features you want and can afford.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 09:53 AM

Jackets should be insanely tight. In the first month or so it will be uncomfortable, after that the jacket will break in, and will stay snug.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 09:57 AM

I have a new pair of a* smx-r all black with white logo's. size 48 they were too big for me. Will sell cheap if they fit either of you.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 02:57 PM

Gear

Definitely get pants that will attach to your jacket, it helps keep your jacket from billowing up on the highway (unless you believe the other drivers/riders want to see you 'plumber's smile' or you don't mind bug injections.) Also size the leg length long, the cuff should be at the ankle when seated.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 04:43 AM
Strength and Honor

When I sized pants, I ignored leg length and concentrated on waist size. This turned out to be very logical since the boot covers up much of the pant leg anyway. Unless you're super short and chunky or super tall and incredibly thin, I wouldn't worry about length too much, presuming you're going to wear Sidis or Alpinestars while wearing the pants

mainedr: Sorry dude, I'm a 46. And after seeing your post and doing some research, it looks like Sidi Vertigos are my next buy. A* sure doesn't seem like they're keeping up with new technology....

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, guys. At this point I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the alpinestars SMX-Rs or the Sidi Vertigos. My biggest concern is comfort, and walking-around ability. But also to have the look/protection of full boots. I also want to try doing track days sometime, so I'm looking for one that will do well there too. Im leaning toward the Sidis, but i also like the lower cost and simpler look of the alpinestars. This is giving me a headache lol
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 12:20 AM

AGV makes a very good race boot, I had a pair when I used to race. Several nice features and not astronomically expensive. The toe slider is also adjustable (and replaceable).

But for walking comfort the best boots are the ones that can be resoled. Good luck finding a mass produced sport riding boot like that. I had Bates make me a pair custom to my foot (which is not an anatomically correct foot). They just got resoled, and they fit like a glove.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 07:14 AM

Has anyone tried the setup boots?

http://www.newenough.com/setup_vision_boots_page.htm

They look just like the sidi ones, say they are manufactored under sidis supervision, and cost 130 bucks. I am interested in knowing their quality.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 07:34 AM

Never heard of 'em, but for $130 I wouldn't mind giving them a shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode