n00b here need suggestions on new good-valued gear - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

n00b here need suggestions on new good-valued gear

i havent bought any equipment yet nor have i tried any on. ive read a lot of threads and most pple say just try on and see whats most comfortable and thats what im planning to do in the near future. as of now i just want some suggestions. like what brand/model do u find the best? how about some best valued ones meaning not too expensive but still worth buying? and also im just planning to buy a helment, gloves, and jacket is that enough? and boots...well...i dont want to buy those as i dont think its very necessary and that worth it

Last edited by unknown00; 06-26-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 04:05 PM

Welp, fit has a lot to do with it...BUT, cheaping out and buying low quality gear, i.e. a 99.00 helmet won't cut it...IMHO, and I've bought a few lids, leathers ect in my time...you get waht you pay for..plain and simple.

Riding on the street, you need the best protection possible, cuzz you don't get to choose if and when, all you can do is try to be prepared just in case..Having good protection means, a Quality fullfaced helmet, such as Shoie, Arai, Suomy, Shark..ect. When buying a lid, try to find a shop / dealer that has someone trained in helmet Fitment, cuzz it's very important that it fit properly, also the shape of your noggin will be a deciding factor in brand, try to get the top of the line, no matter what brand you buy..doesn't have to be the " Replicas" either

Gloves...another item you Want the best of..these aren't just to keep your hands warm...they should be able to withstand sliding on the road for some distance before wearing through..Brands that I think are good, are..Held, Kushitani, Tiachi, these are fairly exspensive, but worth it...also the Alpinestars upper line is good, if you wanr to save a bit, the Teknic Violators are a good start.

Jacket / Leathers..At minium you want a good jacket, lots of riders neglect leather pants...why, I don't know, cuzz your legs can get rashed up just as easy as any other part of you. They also Vary in quality, NJK, Alpinestars, and thos others with CE approved armor should be o.k. same for pants, or full leathers, be it a 1 or 2 picece suit.

Boots...lots of riders wear boots like doc martins ect, Except they wern't designed to protect your ankles, and those are fairly suspetable to injury, a good race / streeet boot that are High enough to protect your ankles will suffice, i.e. Sidi, Oxtar, Alpinestars..

As a added piece of protection, back protectors can help alot if you happen to lowside, and slide for distance on your back, they also help to prevent spinal injuries, I highly recomend one..Price are pretty wide, anywhere from 70.00 to 150.00 get a Plated type like the Dianese, ot Teknics..

All this my sound a tad overboard, but having crashed several times on the street...wearing quality gear was well worth the exspense...I no longer ride on the street, only on the track, still, just my leathers cost 1800.00, boots 380.00, gloves 200.00, ect, ect...Don't Skimp, some day, hopefully not, you may be thankful you went the extra mile..

BTW, I have Never been seriously injured in a crash..

Good luck

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 04:18 PM

There was a link to a set of 05 helmet reviews on here not to long ago that said that the cheap helmets that are DOT approved provide just as much protection as the expensive ones, but this is a debated subject. On helmets I look for DOT and SNELL approval and then find what fits me most comfortable. My first helmet was an HJC, it was heavy and cheap, but not terrible, but its a world away from my Suomy Spec1R that I am wearing now. The both offer the same protection, according to tests, but the extra money goes into fit and feel. I would go for a moderatly priced helmet right now if your pressed for cash, like an HJC, and once you get cash and riding confidence, jump up to a good one. Definatly get a jacket, gloves and boots. All of them are necessary. Mesh jackets are usually the cheaper option and offer alot of protection compared to nothing, then comes leather which is better but usually alot hotter and more expensive. With gloves, go with leather. Anything else will not be to willing to take repetative abuse that your hands will give them. Same for the boots. Get leather ones with ankle protection, you will be glad when you don't loose your foot due to that armor plate helping you out. There are many brands of gear out there, most of which are on the cheaper end of things. Like everyone else says, go with whats comfortable. What some people may like, others wont, and there are so many brands and models out there that we cant cover all of them. Good luck, and be prepared to drop between $500-1000 for just your riding gear.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
There was a link to a set of 05 helmet reviews on here not to long ago that said that the cheap helmets that are DOT approved provide just as much protection as the expensive ones, but this is a debated subject. On helmets I look for DOT and SNELL approval and then find what fits me most comfortable. My first helmet was an HJC, it was heavy and cheap, but not terrible, but its a world away from my Suomy Spec1R that I am wearing now. The both offer the same protection, according to tests, but the extra money goes into fit and feel. I would go for a moderatly priced helmet right now if your pressed for cash, like an HJC, and once you get cash and riding confidence, jump up to a good one. Definatly get a jacket, gloves and boots. All of them are necessary. Mesh jackets are usually the cheaper option and offer alot of protection compared to nothing, then comes leather which is better but usually alot hotter and more expensive. With gloves, go with leather. Anything else will not be to willing to take repetative abuse that your hands will give them. Same for the boots. Get leather ones with ankle protection, you will be glad when you don't loose your foot due to that armor plate helping you out. There are many brands of gear out there, most of which are on the cheaper end of things. Like everyone else says, go with whats comfortable. What some people may like, others wont, and there are so many brands and models out there that we cant cover all of them. Good luck, and be prepared to drop between $500-1000 for just your riding gear.

HJC lids are fine IF you get the AC-12...top of the line...otherwise HJC sucks..I know, I had one..

Not be a jerk, But.....get the best from the get go...The reality is, you could crash the first day...there's NO grace period...IMHO 500.00 Might get you a decent pair of gloves, and boots...Good jackets usually go for the Mid 300's to the upper 400.00's, helmets 350.00 and up..for a GOOD one..and the ICON's are not what I or any gear nazi would call good...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info! but wow $500-$1000 on equipment...i was looking more at $500 max anyways i will do more research when i have time. the thing about buying the best just starting out is that what if for any reason i decided to stop riding...then it'd all kinda come to a waste as reselling wont get me full what i paid for. and i have had this experience with my dj stuff...as i thought about buying the best in the beginning (i didnt though i kinda cheaped out and bought the second best) and now i dont even touch my turntables and planning to sell them at a lot lower price...so yea...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 07:27 PM

Thats why I say a cheaper helmet to start. Helmets in my experience are the most expensive single peice of equipment, and the most important. Thats why I say that a mid line helmet, HJC or KBC or something of the like. They will run you between 180-250 for a decent one thats fairly comfortable. I think all in all for my gear I came out at around $700-800. I've got a Suomy Spec1R helmet new for $350, Feildsheer cargo mesh jacket for $150, a pair of Icon Superduty 2 boots for $100, a pair of Sidi boots for $150, and then my "cheapo" leather gloves for $45. I have two pairs of boots because the Icons were real cheap and are just falling apart on me, they also don't walk to well. You can buy gear used if you want, just don't get a used helmet. After one hit, your helmet is done, so buying used isn't a good idea. It's not always obvious if one has taken a hit or not.

Hammer- what do you find to be wrong with HJCs? I know they aren't comfy for the most part, but I put safety before that, especially if he isn't sure he wants to stay in the sport.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 11:47 PM

Go to your local bike shop at see what they have on clearance. I got a Shoei that was originally $700 for $150 because it was a couple years old and it had a tiny 1/4 inch chip in the paint (not noticable from more than 3 feet away.) They had plenty of helmets that were marked way down because they were last years model or an unpopular graphic.

As far as jackets, I think the Cortech Impulse is a pretty nice jacket for the money. Perforated leather to stay cool with zip-out liner (sleaves or vest or both). All CE armor and waist zipper to connect pants. I am kind of stocky and it fit very well in the chest and upper arms. It is supposed to fit like a second skin- tight. I would have guessed I'd take a large but after getting fitted at the shop I realized I needed a medium (42). At the local shop it was $330, but online it is $260.

Get boots. When I went down (high-side at about 55mph ), the only reason I had to go to the hospital was to get stiches in my ankle because I was wearing tennis shoes. I had all the other gear. If I had boots- no X-rays, no crutches, no limping, no hospital. I had insurance, but the Emergency room visit deductable ($100) would have almost paid for them itself.

And get back on those turntables. You just need some new records. Try DJ Fixx, Tony Faline, or Huda Hudia- you know, the funky Florida Breaks!

Last edited by Liquified; 06-26-2006 at 11:51 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
Hammer- what do you find to be wrong with HJCs? I know they aren't comfy for the most part, but I put safety before that, especially if he isn't sure he wants to stay in the sport.
For 1 thing, the pads wear really fast, as in 2 months, so If the helmet fit when you bought it, in Dec..by Feb it'll be to big..plus the shields are noisy as all heck..I just don't have much faith in a maker that can't even make cheek pads correctly...

So if it don't fit, it ain't all that safe..

While we'er at it, imho if you can't afford decent gear, then you can't afford to ride...just wait till ya gotta spring for a repair from a dealer...

As for the Icon helmets....I have just 1 question ...ever see a Roadracer wear one....?

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:48 PM

Whut Hammer said.

Perhaps another way to look at it: you buy cheap, you find out later you want better equipment due to poor fit and poor protective quality compared to the good stuff. Or, maybe you crash and become a quadraplegic. Lets review: 1) pay more for good stuff? 2) become a quadraplegic and/or undergo two years of skin grafts to get half your looks back? Which one sounds better to you? How much would you spend to avoid option 2? Yeah, sure, ah knew ya could do it.....

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 06:42 AM

$500 is just not a realistic figure. You might be able to get it done under $800.
Here is the rundown. More expansive helmets may not protect you better than cheaper ones, but they will be more comfortable. This is extremly important, because that helmet will be on your head all the time. You will notice every little imperfection, and they will all drive you nuts. Pick the smallest helmet that you can squeeze your head in. It will be uncomfortable at first, but it will loosen up over time. Personally, I'm a big fan of shoei helmets. They are light, quiet, and well thought out. In my expirience, you are better off getting a mid line shoei helmet than you are getting a top of the line HJC. What top of the line helmets ussually offer is removable padding. Which is important, considering your helmet will occumulate a years worth of head sweat.
If you think boots arent important, try going to see a movie on some crutches.
However there is hope. There are discount suppliers out there, such as newenough.com, ronayers.com, kneedraggers.com. You can buy last year models, which may be out of style (???) but are perfectly fine. Look in the closeout sections, cometimes you can get a good leather jacket for $180, gloves for $50, boots for $200. Of course, selection is somewhat limited, but hey, its cheap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode