Really Worth It? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Really Worth It?

Is this jacket really worth the price or is it just a big gimmick?

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...t--509083.html

What about this helmet is this basically just an AC-12 with carbon fiber?

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...r--601662.html

Last edited by poppincaps88; 06-19-2006 at 04:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 04:57 PM

I would pass on both, unless your a fan of carbon fibre, then the helmet might be nice. I don't think that titanium would be much, if any, advantage in a jacket... it would just make it still and uncomfortable. In the event of an impact, it might do a little more than a kevlar/plastic combo like my jacket has, but I don't think it would be worth the comfort and price trade off. For that price, get some nice leathers. Thats just my

Sepias
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

That was my feeling exactly. The only benefit I could think of at least in terms of the helmet is that it probably weighs a little less then a conventional helmet.

On the newenough website Paul even says how the titanium is for the look and not real protection.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 10:16 PM

That is an insane amount of money for a damn jacket.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

http://www.newenough.com/vanson_cobra2_jacket_page.htm

I've heard on a jacket like that it's pretty well spent. Any feedback on that one?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 10:56 PM

I'm not a leather person, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. It looks a bit overprices, especially since you have to buy the armor separate. It's also REALLY shiny, but being black I guess it needs it for night riding. But if your going to drop that kind of cash, why not go for a main stream, proven brand like Dainese or Teknic? Just my input on it though, I don't wear leathers when I ride.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 06:54 AM

Vanson stuff is always expensive, but it works. It does exactly what it's supposed to, and it lasts forever. If you can afford it, Vanson is the way to go.

As far as proven brands go, no one's been around longer than Vanson has, they're a Pioneer in Motorcycle leathers.

Dainse makes a really high quality product too.

If you're looking for a more cost efective leather, then check out ICONs leathers or Joe Rocket. Nothing wrong with either company.

Good luck.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 07:12 AM

Vanson is good stuff too but also overpriced on their over the counter leathers. It really depends on what you are using them for. If you plan on serious track riding and racing then go for something like Vanson.

I had a cheap pair of leathers I wore for quite some time and then used them when I first started the track thing. I went down at Talledega and did some nice sliding and tumbling. The leathers were destroyed but did their job. They were pretty much beyond repair. The point being, that cheap leathers will most likely do just fine in a crash. They may not be repairable but hopefully you won't find out. Now, if I were planning to continue racing and track riding alot then I would go for some more expensive custom leathers such as those made by Vanson, Barnacle Bills, etc. because I would want to be able to rapair them multiple times.

I've been around alot of leathers in my days working with AMA and WERA riders. Most all leathers out there even the cheap ones are going to give you adequate protection in most crashes. The issue is what they look like after that crash.

If you race or push the limits alot and figure you will crash alot then it's a math thing. Crash 3 times destroying 3 $600 sets of say Joe Rocket cheaper suits then you have spent $1800 for leathers that weren't repairable whereas you could have spent the same money for Vansons and probably had repairs done each time if necessary. My price estimates may be all messed up since I haven't paid retail on riding gear in awhile but you can do the math.

I'm in agreement with Gixxer on the Vansons though. Out of all of the leathers I've been around they have always seemed to hold up well.

The Spidi, Spykes, Alpinestars and Dainese are good but in my opinion don't hold up well enough to justify their cost. Joe Rockets are actually some of the best I've seen for the money in there cheaper range. AGVs are hit or miss. Kind of unpredictable. Kobe's seem to do fairly well. Usually repairable. Barnacle Bills custom suit hold up very well and aren't a bad price considering they are handmade customs suits and of course they hold up very well. One thing about Alpinestars though is they have made some great innovations on body armour.

None of them are a waist of money by any stretch. If you have the money get the ones you like and you will be protected.

Last edited by RCjohn; 06-20-2006 at 07:18 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 07:42 AM

That helmet isnt really carbon fiber. The top layer is CF, but its fiberglass underneath. Looks only.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 09:15 AM

Leather jacket in original post sounds like it is not full leather, just parts of it, while others are mesh, w/ reinforced titanium. I'm not a big fan of Icon gear, just looks poser-ish to me

For that price I could buy a decent one or two-piece leather suit for riding.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode