helmet help? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

helmet help?

alright- so I have my heart set on buying a bike, but before I do anything I have been talking to a lot of ppl around me that know all about them. I just wanted some outside opinions on helmets.

I am prepared to get busted up-- obviously... I'm a beginner.. so how much should I spend? it seems hard to choose.. a lot and be safe for riding and learning? or less oz its gonna get busted up anyways....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 05:42 PM

With buying a helmet, fit and feel is very important, so you need to go to a shop and try different ones on. You'll find some may be a lot more comfortable than others.

Things to look for:

1) A full face helmet is going to offer the most protection.
2) A helmet that is at least DOT approved. Snell is a second agency that tests helmets also.
3) Proper fit. You want to make sure the helmet is snug, and you can't really move it around when it's on your head. The pads should fit snug against your forehead and cheeks.

As far as $$, it's debatable, but a more expensive doesn't necessarily equal more protection. A lot of what you're paying for is features(like vents), weight(more expensive helmets may be lighter) and graphics.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 06:19 AM

+1. Slaps76 knows his $hit.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 09:18 AM

Shoei RF1000. Under $300 from ronayers.com. Its got everything you need. The trick is getting the right size. You may have to use the local dealer as a fitting room (and they hate that, for a good reason). Go, find a dealer that carriest shoei helmets (most will). Find the SMALLEST helmet that you can squeeze your melon thru. Its wont be comfy and it will squish the crap out of your face. A few things to keep in mind, as helmets wear in, the inside expands. If that expansion isnt enough to make you comfortable, you can get replacement cheek pads (in different sizes) for pretty cheap.
A helmet that is too large will not protect you as well in a spill, and will also produce considerably more wind noise, which is the number one cause of rider fatigue. Seriously, you can ride 200 more miles a day if you just use earplugs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode