leather v textile - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

leather v textile

I know the difference in the material but I wanted to know if anyone whoi has a leather jacket gets too hot in it. I will be riding in 50-95 degrees. So would you recommend a textile or leather jacket. Also which ones do you guys like? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 04:42 PM

Get the Leather jacket, you can get them perferated, so it won't be so warm, regardless of what you get, sitting in traffic is gonna get warm..My moto, better to sweat some, than get skin grafts..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 05:18 PM

I'm a textile fan, but only because I do alot of traffic riding, and I dont need to have a heat stroke. I've ridden with a perforated leather and it still gets hot to me, but thats just my

Sepias

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 06:22 PM

i wear leather but i also do alot more country riding and live in maine

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 06:26 PM

I wear leather no matter what temperature it is. I have a Joe Rocket Textile jacket, but I do not feel safe with it. I only wear it if I am only riding at tops 30 mph.

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
I'm a textile fan, but only because I do alot of traffic riding, and I dont need to have a heat stroke. I've ridden with a perforated leather and it still gets hot to me, but thats just my

Sepias
I had a friend that lowsided at about 80 mph, he was wearing a Alpinestars textile suit, after sliding down the road, the textile stuff started burning, well, so did his skin..Leather won't melt like textile can. Also, I and others have done track days in 115 degree heat..Nobody was wearing textile stuff.

In the end, ask yourself what your Skin is worth, same goes for your helmet...you can fall down, i.e. crash at any given time...be prepared...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 07:09 PM

But I'm not to worried about crashing while I'm doing 10mph on I-4 in 90*+ weather. I agree that leather offers alot more protection, but at those speeds heat is the bigger enemy in my opinion.

Sepias
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 09:05 AM

textile

i prefer textile. i find it way more comfortable, and cooler in those hot months. i live in the mountains of western north carolina. so i get both hot, and cold weather. as far as protection goes, leather is great. but textile offers very good protection from road rash. especially if you wear a jacket with pads, ie. shoulder, elbow, back and so forth. so for me textile is the way to go. i use wear a joe rocket kawasaki textile.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 11:27 AM

I wear both, depending on the tem and type of riding I'm doing.

For short trips around town, and when it's really freakin hot, I wear my Textile (Triumph Raptor,) and when I'm on a road trip or it's colder out I wear leather (Icon Retro-Daytona.) I also wear an old pair of J.R. leather pants on the highway.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 98Gixxer750
I wear both, depending on the tem and type of riding I'm doing.

For short trips around town, and when it's really freakin hot, I wear my Textile (Triumph Raptor,) and when I'm on a road trip or it's colder out I wear leather (Icon Retro-Daytona.) I also wear an old pair of J.R. leather pants on the highway.
That's a sweet looking jacket!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode