Icon Dayton Jacket??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Icon Dayton Jacket???

I am a new rider, and plan on buying a bike within the next month or whenever I find one for that matter. I have looked at and sized jackets, gloves, and helmets. I feel comfortable in an Icon Dayton jacket, and they dont cost too much.Do these jacket provide adequite protection from the road incase I go down?Also, I live in louisiana, so the weather sucks even now. Its about 70 outside with 99% humidity at 9 at night. Do leather jackets Ventilate well, or should i maybe look at a jacket that "breathes"better?I havent looked at riding boots and I dont want to ride in running shoes or anything , but should i buy riding boots , or maybe just some leather "work" boots? Gloves are already taken care of . Any other suggestions or advice would be greatly apprecieated.

Last edited by Bushmaster guy; 02-16-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 08:52 PM

oh man, my wife is from louisiana. humidty can kiss my a$$. i would definitly stay away from leather. go the textile route. while i hear there are perforated leathers that arent bad, there are textiles that are better. i am looking at upgrading to the joe rocket alter ego, the whole front damn near zips off.
while textiles are cheaper and cooler there pretty much single use. i have heard about plenty of guys go down in leather and still be able to use em.
as for boots, obviously a good racing boot is the best way to go as far as protection. but i wear my CAT steel toes 365 days a year and they should hold up fine. the only drawback to them is ankle protection.

oh and dont be a goon and buy a liter bike for your first, i dont like my insurance going up. keep it under 600cc. lol

Last edited by Meat_Shield; 02-16-2006 at 08:54 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 04:12 PM

A plain textile jacket may be lighter, but they don't ventilate any better, IMO. I've got one, it's pretty much waterproof and doesn't allow any air in unless I have the vents open.

You could look into a textile-mesh, or leather-mesh jacket as well. Something with the breathability of mesh, but added protection.

Example:
http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_...acket_page.htm

Or you could just suck it up and wear leather? Perforated leather may be ok.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by slaps76
A plain textile jacket may be lighter, but they don't ventilate any better, IMO. I've got one, it's pretty much waterproof and doesn't allow any air in unless I have the vents open.

You could look into a textile-mesh, or leather-mesh jacket as well. Something with the breathability of mesh, but added protection.

Example:
http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_...acket_page.htm

Or you could just suck it up and wear leather? Perforated leather may be ok.
I know its not going to protect as well as leather, but it will still provide adequite protection correct?

Maybe I could suck it up and just wear the leather, but I would have to do A LOT of suckin up. Anyone from the south have any opinions about the leather?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushmaster guy
I know its not going to protect as well as leather, but it will still provide adequite protection correct?
Some "textile jackets" are nothing more than nylon with armor in it. I have a Textile by Hein Gericke and it is very thick, and it don't breath well unless I open the vents and take out the liner. Once I do that it is very comfortable. Go to a shop to try all types on and see how they fit. Then get online and order the one you want for cheaper. As far as boots go. I used to ride in a pair of "work boots" and never really had any problems with them except for the lack of ankle protection. I now ride in Sidi Vertabra, and they are great. Got them for half price on Ebay and they were brand new. You can find what you want for cheap if you just look around. New Enough is a great site, along with Kneedraggers and of course my fav...Ebay. Get to the MSF course!

Last edited by bhartwig32; 02-18-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode