Good Idea/Bad Idea?!?! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Good Idea/Bad Idea?!?!

Is this a good thing that might be coming to all bikes in the future or is it just insane? I know this will keep someone from going into the bars of the bike... but would they just bounce off to the car? Thoughts anyone?

Sepias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 11:35 PM

Hi SS-

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that system will be too heavy for sportbike use.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 05:51 AM

I'm sure they tested the system with lots and lots of dummies.

As for weight, bluey, I think the gov't will be quick to mandate the bags use on all motorcycles...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 07:07 AM

will not work for dirtbikes or sports bike. Besides, if your about to crash and that thing pops out, well... You're def gonna crash then. And its not gonna protect you when your t-boned from the side or broadsided.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 07:13 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the most common kind of accident on a motorcycle is when a driver pulls out in front of a bike, in which case this bag would theoretically help. It wont do much for other types of accident, but then again, I doubt it would go off, as sensors will most likely be in the bottom of the front forks..

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 07:44 AM

but theres a good chance that even with the airbag, you'll still fly over it... We just need better cage drivers. Spend money on teaching America how to drive properly, but that will never happen.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 07:54 AM

eh? That kind of like saying that if we had better drivers we wouldnt need helmets...

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Heh... if they put the sensors on the forks would that end wheelies? Would be interesting to see someone try and find out. But I agree with Vash better drivers wouldn't be the solution. There will always be idiots on the road so investing in safety is the fastest andbest solution. Or maby we should do the exact opposite... take the safety outta the cages... that way when they dick up, there is one less cage driver lol. Just a thought.

Sepias
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 07:21 PM

Wink

I think the most common kinds of incidents involving cars are of the T-bone variety. Isn't the most common accident "single vehicle"? I guess the thinking is that if you're going to go straight over the bars that you'll bounce/ricochet off of the bag first and thereby slow your flight speed and duration. Maybe it prevents you from somersaulting? [shrug].
Anyway, I hope the flare pants aren't also part of the safety package. I'm not going back there man!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 07:43 PM

Touring....

Probably not a bad idea for bigger sport tourers or touring bikes.....you never know until you try......! Guess we'll see! Ride safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode