Metzler sportec M-3 tire - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Metzler sportec M-3 tire

I'm still learning and what not, but when I got the 600rr I needed to replace the rear tire. So instead of getting the normal dunlops 208 tires, I wanted something more, something better. I was hoping to get a pilot power as I've heard so much good things about it, but cycle gear was out. What the did have was a new Metzler sportec M-3 tire. My friend has the M-1 and gets pretty good traction. So I got it for 160 bucks (180 balanced + tax) for the 180/55/17 size.

Anyhow, when I tried to find reviews for the tire, there are none. Even Metzler's website don't have anything about the product online, its not even listed!

So I went back to the store and asked him about it, apparently, their shop magically received the M-3's that day when I needed a new tire and its so new that they haven't even done a press release about the tire. So in that case, I'd like to be the first one to say that I got the M-3 on my bike and I'm quite liking the grippiness of the tire. Sidewalls are nice, thick, and firm. Its sticky but its suppose to be dual compound and engineered to have an increase of tire life compared to the m-1.

Does anyone else heard anything about this? I've yet to take the 600rr out leaning with the new tire, but since its winter. I'd better not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 05:06 PM

I've read that the M-3's aren't supposed to available until March, looks like you got one early. I wanted to wait for them, but I'm need a new tire asap. So I'm going to give those Roadtec Z-6's a try.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 08:35 PM

Jbaz,
I've heard alot of good hype about the M-3 so let us know how they work out. I want it all, good grip (wet, dry, cold or hot) and long tire life. Maybe someday there will be the perfect tire!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

If you can find this tire as cheap as the m-1's, get it. I got the RR fixed yesterday and took it out for a spin to class. It was like 35 degrees in the morning and drove for about 1-2 mins. Then when I entered the highway, gunned it. the m-3 Tire, not once at all, did not spin or lose traction. Even when I hit that powerband, the tire didn't lose grip!

The dunlop 208's would always lose grip when I hit the powerband on my F2 even after 5-10 mins of running around. So after class, I rode around Raleigh for about an hour find curves and what not. I'm just amazed how fast the tire warms up, and after class, it was still only 45 degrees. I could pop wheelies after 1 min warm up time without any tire spin. I lose no traction in taking curves, but I'm keeping it safe and not leaning to far over since it is a cold road still. Once the weather gets above 60, I'll really take it out for a spin, but damn those cage drivers for only going 45 in a 35 or 25mph curve.

Btw, getting a matching front tire thursday. local shop found one in their inventory and I claimed it already. Oh and I found 1 review for it so far and gave it just as good if not better then the m-1 and pilot powers.

Last edited by JBaz; 02-08-2006 at 07:25 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JBaz

Btw, getting a matching front tire thursday. local shop found one in their inventory and I claimed it already. Oh and I found 1 review for it so far and gave it just as good if not better then the m-1 and pilot powers.
That will be the true test when you can evaluate the front, and how the two work together. New tires seem to make the bike feel new as well. Take it easy on them until they're broken in well. I usually take some sandpaper to the edge of my new fronts. You probably are already aware, just making sure.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

I already brokein the rear tire, rode about 300 miles on it already. I don't do much until i wear the tires down a bit.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 10:32 PM

i have a 600 gsxr and a m3 on my bike....i'm quite enjoying it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode