Bicycle armor??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Bicycle armor???

I ride with a couple of guys that use bicycle armor instead of motorcycle armor under there leathers. I don't know if anyone else is doing this, but it's got me thinking. One guy is using bicycle knee pads under his leather, and this downhill gear from 661 that is like a shirt with armor on the shoulders, chest and back.

Now what I am thinking is this can't be a bad idea, I know for a fact that some of the armor that comes with jackets are a joke. What do you guys thinking of getting some protective armor for my vanson jacket.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/144...lak-Jacket.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:37 PM

I don't know how fast the average human can pedal a bicycle.. but I'm pretty sure it's significantly slower then 85mph. I think I'll stick to armor specifically made for motorcycle gear.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:55 PM

Disclaimer: I'm a noob. But:

Bicycle armor is some very strong stuff. I've come down very hard on a few occasions on a BMX (worst example from five feet above the top of a halfpipe to the concrete twenty feet below) and once on a mountain bike (I was doing about 18mph and the tree was doing 0). I've never broken a bone on a bicycle.

However, while bicycle armor would be better than no bicycle armor on a sport bike, motorcycle armor would be loads better, I think. Bicycle armor won't give you abrasion resistance that can come even close, and obviously there's no footwear for bicycles that has any useful function when riding a sport bike.

Like I said, I'm a noob to motorcycles, but there it is, for what it's worth. Hope it helps.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 12:36 AM

Bicycle Armor is usually just as good

as motorcycle armor. The only thing is, it won't be CE certified because they are officially made for mountain bike riding/racing. I ride road bikes, mountain bikes, and motorcycles. I've dabbled in Freeriding and I know that the gear used in FR and Downhill racing is some of the same stuff sold as MC safety gear. Especially Dainese. I know Dainese has some new protective gear that looks like it has a few more plastic plates on the arms than their DH MTB safety gear. The shoulder and elbow pads in my Dainese Bora jacket is made exactly the same way with the same materials as the their safety jacket. Even their back protector is the same. I'm sure 661 protectors would work great under a quality MC jacket. Likewise, I'm sure a Knox safety suit would work great in FR/DH MTB'ing. Ride ON!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 07:30 AM

heres some stuff you should look into then.. much better then bicycle armor..

http://www.actionstation.com/
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your input guys, I know that bicycle armor is just as good as some of the motorcycle stuff. When you buy a jacket that comes with soft armor, even the cheap ten dollar stuf at Modell's is better.

Thanks for the link Docta__Freeze i will be ordering the
Bohn Crusader Armored Shirt , it's just what I am looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode