All-Around Boots? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

All-Around Boots?

I'm sure this has probably been answered, but here goes anyway. I'm currently gearing up, have gotten the helmet, gloves, jacket, etc...just need the pants and boots. Problem is, I know what pants I'm getting, but I have no clue as far as boots go. Only MC boot experience was in motocross, so I need a little help. I'm wanting something that is very protective (as in full-length, none of that just above the ankle stuff), yet I can also walk in, wear to school, etc...doesn't need to be crazy comfortable, but at least wearable off the bike. I love the look of the Sidi boots and always hear good things about their protection but I have no idea about comfort. Any help would flippin' amazing, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 12:12 PM

Sidi is definitly a good boot...The newer vertigo cosa's are really comfy, plus you can adjust them for a tweaked fit..Kinda spendy, but you won't find a boot with better protection, Unless you spring for the Daytona's @ 900.00....

Any of the Sidi boots will work, just depends on how much protection you want...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 12:33 PM

From what I have heard and seen boots are on a scale, protection on one side, comfort on the other. Not to say they aren't comfortable while riding but off the bikes a different story. So I guess i'm interested to see what other have experianced too.

-M-

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 03:56 PM

Definitely +1 on Sidi. There's a website that has a few Sidi closeouts which usually run a little less expensive than current Sidis -- if your're trying to save a few $$, but still want a good quality boot.... http://www.newenough.com/index2.htm
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 04:17 PM

I own these

They don't have any real protection in them. They are just above the ankle and should hold up in a accident. They really are water proof like they state. They are fairly comfortable for wearing all day. I have worn them all day on many occasions and had only once complaint; They tend to get a bit hot in the summer. I have had them for 4 years now and they look almost brand new. If I was going to do any track days, I would invest in a pair that had more protection. For day to day riding I think they work really well.

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mstrand_68
From what I have heard and seen boots are on a scale, protection on one side, comfort on the other. Not to say they aren't comfortable while riding but off the bikes a different story. So I guess i'm interested to see what other have experianced too.

-M-
That sums it up well. Even the best touring boots I have had aren't designed to be walked a mile in.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Yea, the more I look, the more I realize that, due to my riding style (pretty much just street riding), I can't really justify a $400 boot...any other suggestions that still look as cool and won't let my ankle seperate from my leg? Sorry if I sound like a newb (which I am, at least in the gear department), but I figure I'll ask those with more experience than myself!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 03:55 PM

If money is an issue check these out. I've seen the on different sites for different prices and they aren't to hard after a long walk. I don't know about all day at school thou.

Vega
Nitro Matrix Boot

$59.99

All leather vented uppers
Comfort-padded ankle, tongue and collar
Sturdy rubber sole
Dual hook/loop and lace closure
Lightweight alternative to street boots

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 03:37 PM

You can get decent boots that offers basic protection for a reasonable price look at the following Joe Rocket GPX or New Enough Close Out Boots another SetUp Boots Moto Race just a few options.

I have 4 different pair of riding boots, 2 Prexport 580s (10 yrs old and still wear them) JR GPX nice boot for the price not flashy, wear pretty much everyday and for the track JR 990 identical to the Frey Daytona except for the outside which says JR. The point is there's plenty of options out there with out breaking your wallet.

These Things We Do
That Others May Live
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 06:35 PM

I am an ex-shoe salesman & actually sent from Cdn to a special training for people with feet problems in Chicago USA.

Also in our sport shop we fitted Wardens from Banff & Jasper Alberta National Park here in Cdn with not only climbing boots, but ski boots. Same with special trained RCMP constables from all over B.C. & Alberta when it come to rescue work, climbing & skiing. Meaning climbing & ski boots & other products. Believe me the Wardens & RCMP had BIG feet with 15.5 being a few of them.

Also the above often had to be in said footwear for a week plus & mountaineering requires a lot of tricky footwork.

Problem with m/c boots is that in so many cases it is hard to find anything over 13 & yes we have riders crying out for size 15. The other factor is WIDTH & if you have something like an EEEE in width & you should be with a size D which is even narrower then you usually end up with a size or two shorter, twisting the foot, so the foot will not flop around inside. Many m/c boot people do NOT say the width.

Personally if I wanted a proper fit of a top grade oxfor like Dack, Hart, or Florsheim with size 10.5 & C width these & good other makes would fit with perfection. Still with a climbing boot, ski boot, or such & the fact I will be wearing a heavy sock or a light sock & a heavier one-------to absorb the moisture from the foot & cushion the strain of walking in not normal conditions which also jives with m/cing THAT is when I go for a size 11 in length & D width.

So I use a Danner 'Fort Lewis' boot that has been purchased for military use even in France. Try www.danner.com if you want to look at what they offer.

I have had mine since around 13 or 14 yrs & they still feel as if I was in my slippers but lots of strength, warm in cold weather & waterproof if you treat them properly as I do then some people have assumed they were probably new said year they looked at them.

True they will NOT save the twist of the ankle & though I have twisted my ankle to even breaking one in 59 yrs of riding which includes 42 yrs of competition. Not with the said Danner boot.

I have purchased some boots from Europe for competition to find the partial steel shank was only a bit of wood & broke when I stood on the footrests during MXing & another pair that also gave out when incompetition in Observed Trials. Along with some that were to large in width & so way to sloppy. Said Danner one could use for a week of walking all forms of terrain.

Of interest they advertised them in SOF magazine as no need to be broken in, no sore spots, no blisters & waterproof. So one of the top men in SOF purchased a pair & after a 5 day of testing them in pretty well any thing including a bit of footwork in the Mtns, streams, & glaciers. Said they were 100% correct in what they claimed. Reason I bought my pair & again they were true.

Remember so many do NOT need a road racing boot & in so many cases shops are selling pull on boots for riding. So take a look at Danner & also give some thought for good hunting boots & believe me hunting boots are put to the test.

Think of what I ride & possibly my Yamaha YZF600r, Honda 929 & 954 might be a bit more then what you ride. By the time you start to aim at tough riding on bikes like I ride I feel that by this time the m/c boot people will have vastly improved their boots & sizes. After all they have improved a lot over the past few yrs & in the late 70s I had to buy from Europe as nothing in the m/c shops other then pull-on boots like Wellingtons or cheap copies of Engineers boots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode