Sportbike World banner

What do you do when you find out that your group has a bunch of squids in it?

• Keep riding

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • Wait for the first break and talk to the squids

Votes: 22 11.9%
  • Turn around and go home

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • Laugh when they get hurt

Votes: 39 21.1%
  • Find a different road to ride

Votes: 56 30.3%
  • Pump it up with them

Votes: 13 7.0%

Riding with Squids ?

14K views 34 replies 26 participants last post by  endleswavz 
#1 ·
12-8-02

Thanks to mrgreggb for this poll.

#9 ·
I like to ride by myself. If a bunch of squids show up. I just pull over and have a smoke or get a bottle of water. Let them get down road some. Then I keep on my ride, i will see them getting tickets up the road. Age forces a certin amount of wisdom on you, weather you want it or not. I still like to ride fast, i'm just smarter about it now.

#11 ·
molebaby said:
I like to ride by myself. If a bunch of squids show up. I just pull over and have a smoke or get a bottle of water. Let them get down road some. Then I keep on my ride, i will see them getting tickets up the road. Age forces a certin amount of wisdom on you, weather you want it or not. I still like to ride fast, i'm just smarter about it now.

Amen to that.. Just like my quote you first must be young & stupid

#12 ·
My choice wasnt in the selection,

Get the heck away from them as quickly as possible.

Last thing I want is some ignorant, dangerous noobie weaving around next to me. Most other sport bike riders I see are just riding along too. We nod or wave and keep on going. But every now and then there is some squidly nutcase acting the part. They'll come weaving up though traffic and want to ride right next to me... "HEY LOOK AT ME!!! IM ON A BIKE TOO!!! LETS GO RACING THROUGH TRAFFIC LIKE INCONSIDERATE NITWITS!" ...

I wave them away, ignore them or act rude, that usually does it. Personally I dont want other commuters associating me with people like that. Its embarrasing. I ride the same roads all year round. Im sure many have seen me before and will see me again.

#13 ·
nick_nolastname said:
My choice wasnt in the selection,

Get the heck away from them as quickly as possible.

Last thing I want is some ignorant, dangerous noobie weaving around next to me. Most other sport bike riders I see are just riding along too. We nod or wave and keep on going. But every now and then there is some squidly nutcase acting the part. They'll come weaving up though traffic and want to ride right next to me... "HEY LOOK AT ME!!! IM ON A BIKE TOO!!! LETS GO RACING THROUGH TRAFFIC LIKE INCONSIDERATE NITWITS!" ...

I wave them away, ignore them or act rude, that usually does it. Personally I dont want other commuters associating me with people like that. Its embarrasing. I ride the same roads all year round. Im sure many have seen me before and will see me again.
Agreed, I hate that guy!

#14 ·
I'd ride with them but only on a country road. I'd push them to their limits for a while and then settle back down to what ever pace I was doing. But in traffic I'll take it easy. At night on the hwy - thats a different issue.

<I guess Im a part time squid>
<But come on! We all have a little squid in each of us>

#16 ·
I don't know any squids

I answered yes, since I'm always in the back of the group and 10 miles behind.

I tend to ride a little more conservativly. Mostly because I'm still bonding with my baby, but also because I like my life and the privilege of riding. I hope to be around and still riding in my 60's.

~Jen

#19 ·
Hell, I just keep riding. If they dont feel like waiting for me to catch up at whatever spot they choose to stop at, well, I like riding by myself just fine.

If they are attracting attentions (read, Five-O), then I definitely drop back and have a leisurely ride.

#20 ·
I voted for keep riding, because as more experienced we have to reach out and
help the :squid:'s .....unless the squids are ego maniacs, lets face everyone who
rides has an ego, but some riders/squids egos will get them hurt. And these are the type
riders/squids I can't roll with.... cause they'll get you killed (knock on wood).

#21 · (Edited)
I've had too many run-ins with the law to ride with squids anymore. The less attention that gets drawn to me the better. I'll help other riders, but to me a 'squid' means a, for lack of better term, 'stupid' rider. A squid is intent on being a fool on his bike, and he/she will not leave Squiddom until he/she crashes. Squids attract the attention of the law, and in some cases, the cops will pull over everyone in the group. I can't have that.

#22 ·
pdxvfr750 said:
Hell, I just keep riding. If they dont feel like waiting for me to catch up at whatever spot they choose to stop at, well, I like riding by myself just fine.

If they are attracting attentions (read, Five-O), then I definitely drop back and have a leisurely ride.

Exactly what I do....I'm not about to deprive myself of a great ride because of other people, I just hang back and enjoy my ride!!!!

#23 ·
It depend on how reckless the squids are for me. If you do the speed limit they will eventually pass you and go do their thing. I just hang back, just like someone said earlier. I will enjoy the ride...by doing my own thing on that road. Squids do attract cops, so I will be very, very cautious when they are around. I don't need a ticket by association or some stupid crap like that.

#24 ·
I am a negotiator and problem solver, so I want to stay with them and try to talk to them. Not trying to force them to change but if I am not alone in wanting no squids to foul things up, we may be able to at least voice our concerns and set ground rules, and then they know they are out if they choose to do their own thing.

Fact is, my riding group is stupid if they did not already have rules for the ride. Prior notice is the best way. If I was so stupid that I rode with a group without knowing there were squids, and not knowing that there were no rules such as "you stunt with this group, you are gone", I deserve to get ticketed with the rest of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.