Sportbike World banner

why are we / they a**holes (was: poll: wave at others)

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  ScottF3 
#1 ·
ok, i need someone to explain something to me. i'm relativly new to sport bikes, but have a decent background in M/Cing in general. but this, however, has me conused.

so here's the deal. a freind recentlly got a 2004 R6. I've been riding it a lot. while doing so i've gone about my normal riding routines which includes waving at (all) other riders. i've noticed that i get a significant number of LESS returned waves when i'm riding the R6, than when i'm riding my bike which beater standard-style Honda CB750k. the most of it seems to come (or rather not come) from harley / cruiser-type riders. then i read that thread / poll on the same issue which confirmed what i had noticed. so my question is....why are people on sportbikes seen as scum by other riders? does it stem from 'rice-burning' racism, a sense of insecurity about riding archaic technology? someone please ed-u-ma-cate me.

-chr|s

#4 ·
Today was my first day I passed other riders on the street. one on a gold wing and one on a sprotbike. I compeltely forgot about the waving. I waved back hopefully it time for them to see it. I got to remember that. I dont want people to think I'm an ass or disrespectful. I will ride with anybody, unless they give me a reason not to want to ride with them.

#5 ·
It is not compulsory to wave at other m/cist you know.

I do not, but then my riding friends were mainly from the UK & no one in my few cities waved back in the late 40s or 50s. I feel it is an American thing that has slowly moved up into some parts of Cdn.

Over in Europe most riders to NOT wave at each other.

#6 ·
jamesjweg said:
You my friend have just learned how to tell the real bikers from the want-to-be's.

James.
I think you Nailed that one right on the head. I can't count the times Either Harley or Sportbike riders havent waved. It's pretty easy too tell who will wave and who wont. You can usually tell the Harley riders who wont wave. They and their bike have this I'm a "bad-ass on the weekends" look to them. The sport bike riders that dont wave have on the normal squid gear on wich is usually a muscle shirt, flip flops and shorts. Normally I always wave:hello: , but when they dont wave back when I'm pretty sure they saw me they get this:finger: . None-the-less, I dont let it ruin my day and just keep enjoying the fact that I'm lucky enough too be on Two wheel's. :2cents:

#7 ·
EdgeRanger said:
Today was my first day I passed other riders on the street. one on a gold wing and one on a sprotbike. I compeltely forgot about the waving. I waved back hopefully it time for them to see it. I got to remember that. I dont want people to think I'm an ass or disrespectful. I will ride with anybody, unless they give me a reason not to want to ride with them.
Waving is a nice pleasantry between riders but don't worry about it that much. Especially if you're new, just worry about riding and the waving will come easily once you're comfortable.

#8 ·
I wave to any bike that I come across... and I'd say over half return the friendly jester... sportbikes or cruisers no difference... it's a way to say we share a common interest... the passion to be on two wheels :thumb:

though I have come across a few cruisers who say they dont' wave to sportbikers cause of the "I go fast and am better than you and you go slow and suck attitude".... then I have also heard from some sportbikers who say they dont' wave to cruisers cause they have this "I'm a bad ass mfker and you worth my acknowledgement attitude"...

I think personally it's all in how you are brought up and your area.. my sister rides a Yamaha Roadstar 1600cc cruiser fully dressed out... and I ride a crotchrocket - in the northwest area of FL all bikers are treated as equal and you always get a freindly wave :D

just enjoy your ride and wave (when safe) to anyone you feel like acknowledging that you share a common passion with :thumb:

E.

#9 ·
So far I'd have to agree that cruisers and hardleys wave less. Most of the time people just are not expecting a wave. We've become rude and self centered as a society.

Oh, guys on bmws NEVER wave back. I came up near one going the same way he actually moved away like I had a disease or something. Rude.

#10 ·
ekinnee said:
So far I'd have to agree that cruisers and hardleys wave less. Most of the time people just are not expecting a wave. We've become rude and self centered as a society.

Oh, guys on bmws NEVER wave back. I came up near one going the same way he actually moved away like I had a disease or something. Rude.
Well it wasn't me that's for sure, I wave all the time. Are you sure he wasn't just giving you room to go by if you wanted?

James.

#11 ·
chris

around the boston area yo will find that attitude weigh pretty heavily but once you get out west and north of 95 and 495 its more easy going and you will find allot more folks waving. some of what you are experiencing is from what was mentioned above about their attitudes towards sportbikes. this mainly comes from the small minority that ride like assholes, whipping in and out of traffic and other bikes, and only caring about "showing off". another reason is because you are within rte 495 where the majority of heavy traffic and population is so allot of folks won't take their hands off the handle bars. if you look at them yo may see them nod their head at you.

"head west young man" and you'll experience a more friendly environment. yes, we still have those who won't wave, but i'd say about 95% of other bikers will or their passengers.

one more thing though that you need to remember. its more important to maintain your cornering and bike control than it is to wave at another rider.

#13 ·
I cannot believe it THAT there are TWO Threads on this figging thing about waving as if it was necessary otherwise one is out of line with the rest of the m/c world.

Well guys you log on something like 57+ yrs of riding & tell me that waving at EVERY m/cist is a must.

This is almost as sensless as saying "My bike is faster & better they yours".

#14 ·
Smitty said:
Well guys you log on something like 57+ yrs of riding & tell me that waving at EVERY m/cist is a must.

This is almost as sensless as saying "My bike is faster & better they yours".
i agree smitty. thats why i wrote "its more important to maintain your cornering and bike control than it is to wave at another rider."

and BTW, i know your bike is faster than mine. :crying:

;)

#15 ·
I usually wave, but sometimes not. I don't feel obligated to at all nor do I feel rude when I don't. If I think about it and it's safe, I do. If I am busy enjoying riding, I may not. I agree with Smitty, it is not mandatory. If you want to wave then fine, but don't expect me to wave back and don't get offended when I don't.

#16 ·
well i too made a comment "when safe" it's nice to wave.. not that it'sa have to and i dont' get mad when another doesn't... maybe they weren't able to for some reason... no matter...

heck when we go sleding we hold up the number of fingers that represent how many are behind us as a friendly way of sayin watch out there's more coming... I don't find it offensive even then if they don't.. cause there has been many occasions where I myself needed to have both hands on the sled to control it safely as we pass one another...

I don't think it's uncalled for to ask opinions of waving on a bike.. if you come from an area that never did it then it's good that you try to educate yourself as to the reasoning behind it ... :thumb:

E.

Scott you must have been reading over my shoulder when I typed this :D then to top it off you beat me to posten :p

#17 ·
most do wave

I find that a majority do wave back to me. There a few that don't such as these die hd riders that seemed to be in disgusted with sb riders. Being that i am on a naked sb, I sometimes get an accidental wave from these guys then they get this look of dispair when the realize that i am not on a cruiser. The round headlight on the front throws them :D

#18 ·
Seems most people will wave if they see you down here. Seems like everyone holds up 2 fingers. I agree I have had some times when I would of waved but for what ever reason I don't feel conftorable doing it, mostley do to traffic situations.

#21 ·
Heh, scooters. When I first started I waved at scooters, but I stopped shortly thereafter. The reason I stopped is because they never waved back, even if they saw me wave. Usually, they dont even look at me when we pass each other. So, now I just try to give them a nod if I can, but I find that most of the time they dont acknowledge that either. I have gotten a few waves from scooters, but that is the rare occasion. Alot of the time though, I get a look that says, "Why the hell is he waving at me, I'm not on a motorcycle?". My explanation for it is that they probably dont see themselves as part of the motorcycle community.

As for waving to other motorcyclists, I always try to. I find that most of the time, with those that dont wave, I can see that they didnt notice me, or werent looking at me when I waved, so I think nothing of it. Very often, I too, find that I am too busy keeping the cars in front and behind me in check that it would not be in my best interest to scan the other lane for motorycles, so I have probably missed a few motorcycles myself. But like others have said, it's not exactly a mandatory thing to do.

--Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.