Sportbike World banner

Clip type master link , are they any good/safe? for a QUAD.

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Smitty 
#1 ·
Are the clip type master links any good? I am going to order the D.I.D.520 V chain and that is the type of master link I got. Are the clip type master links any good? is this chain any good? should it last a while? at least as long as my stock chain? thanks a lot
P.S this is for my 03 Z400 suzuki quad.

#2 ·
You should have no trouble with the clip style master link. I have never had one come apart on me. Nobody that I know uses a rivet type link. Make sure you install the clip in the right direction. The closed end of the clip should be headed in the direction of the chain travel.:2cents: :thumbs2:

By the way, how do you like the Suzuki?

#3 ·
I like the suzuki, accept for the chain adjuster which is a pain teh ass.

#4 ·
BLACK Z said:
I like the suzuki, accept for the chain adjuster which is a pain teh ass.
Try a yamaha quad.. takes 938576 tools, the skin off 7 knuckles, and will require no less then 14 cuss words to adjust the chain:)

anyhow, any o-ring chain will work fine, and I've never lost a clip type master link from any of my quads/dirtbikes.. might not be a bad idea to get a beefier case saver however.. $15 for a thicker case saver is a LOT less then a new left side case

that said, here's what we do to Z400s in Glamis, after the owner drank too many beers and forgot to lock his bike up... Muahahahaha

...Aerik
SandBros.com

#5 ·
All I have used since '91 is the rivet type chain link & if you were on a m/c board where most were riding up to date sportbikes they to would say the same.

I can remember finding a solid link chain (so a rivet master link) on my 500cc Manx Norton road racing m/c way back in '50.

#10 ·
In honesty I do not feel I would use a clip master link on a modern 600cc or up sportbike.

On Enduro, or Cross Country events I had a master clip link in an oiled bit of cloth & wrapped up in plastic ---- taped on my handlebars. Had lots of things taped on my bikes like tyre levers, compressed air bottles (no that was bolted on) spare cables lubed & like master link being oiled cloth on both ends & in plastic wrapping sealed up, strapped on quick release spark plug spanner & two fresh spark plugs, spare gear change lever bolted on a part of he frame, spare control levers along with screws taped & wired on here & there. Front & rear inner tubes in pair of dual rear belt packs, for some time an army web bag attatched to my belt holding a lot of extras & later on it was a fanny bag.

So much was cut away for quick removal, yet a light inner cable held said part like the front lugs, holding the front wheel axle, so they were not in the dirt someplace, but hanging there & ready to be slid back on. Lot of tricks picked up from the Brit ISDT riders & I simply copied them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.