05/07/01 - Dragging your knee. - Page 5 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-17-2001, 01:54 PM

No, Just my elbows.

Try it...........You'll like it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 06:51 AM

Unhappy

Nope,afraid my foot will fall off and then I will be in a world of hurt.....ken.
post #43 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 09:47 AM

I don't drag my knees at all...but sometimes I drag my testicles while riding in a straight line...

post #44 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 10:37 AM

all the time

There is nothing like it
post #45 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-26-2001, 10:20 AM

Being a shortass I used to really have to hang-off on my old RZ500 to do it, so much so I couldn't keep my foot on the outside footpeg....very Mamola-esque. I never did it on my RC30 but that was only cowardice..I didn't want to toss 20large up the road...

Now I have a very non-sporty ZR7 and I only ever do it two at a time when I am down polishing those wheels.

post #46 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 05:20 PM

Cool patiently waiting

the day will come...and when it does there will be much rejoicing
post #47 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 05:49 PM

It's not that big a deal once you develop trust in your tires and the forsight to know what your tires require to make good contact with the ground (fairly clean road is a good place to start). Get some leathers so your not gonna get hurt too bad if you screw it up, find a clover leaf with decent run off and constant radius turns, and keep going till you touch. You will then say, 'oh my gosh, that was really cool and not that scarry'. Get some 207's or the like. The clover leaf is what did it for me. It was at Pioneer parkway and 360 in 'Dallas' Tx (arlington). Tight enough to get a knee down at ~40-55 mph and you can keep ridding in those nearly perfect 270 degree turns that interconnect until your dizzy or exhausted. The other good thing about such long nearly constant radius turns is that you have time to work on body position within the turns to find a good position that gets your weight off your wrists. This allows the front wheel to track cleanly without your tension mucking it up.

That said, yes, I get my knee down on public roads. I try to contain it to turns where I can see if traffic is coming and the speeds are not too high.
post #48 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
...find a clover leaf with decent run off and constant radius turns, and keep going till you touch...
Well that's great. Now what about the left knee?
post #49 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 12:11 PM

Once you get comfortable with the position you find works well for you and get used to the lean angles involved it easily transfers (mentally) the left turns. Try a huge parking lot in a new shopping complex if you can find one. If it's really new the concrete is clean enough to run figure eights.

If that doesn't work get some friends with chatter box headsets to work lookout and run the clover leaf backwards at 2 in the am.

Seriously, once you are used to the lean angle and you learn that if the road is clean enough the tires WILL stick, it becomes very natural. Just be sure you move in small steps in case your tires are not up to it. Be very smooth. If the front starts to push or slide you have to make yourself roll gently on the throttle to get some weight transfered to the back so the front will stay hooked up. If the back starts to slide roll off just enough to let it hook up but don't chop the throttle cause the front will load and slide or the if the back has really stepped out you could highside.

It's 90% mental in making yourself smooth on the throttle (it should always be at least cracked in the turn so the weight isn't on the front wheel, the contact patch on the back is twice as big, put the weight there), extremely light on the bars (try to barely hold on, get your weight on the tank via your chest), and don't freak out. Look as far through the corner as possibe at where you want to go.
Have fun

PS- Sheeese, you have a 748 so I hope you're not waiting for better suspension or tires cause they ain't out there. LOL.
Find a suitable spot and get some leathers dude.

Last edited by apexismaximus; 12-06-2001 at 12:14 PM.
post #50 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
PS- Sheeese, you have a 748 so I hope you're not waiting for better suspension or tires cause they ain't out there. Find a suitable spot and get some leathers dude.
Thanks man! Yeah, I need to get some leathers, that's for sure. It's just that hanging off the bike that far scares the shit outa' me! So you don't think I should worry about the suspension or tires on my 748? Do you think the 748 can corner without dragging parts? I dunno', it all just sounds plain crazy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode