02/03/01 - Question about leathers. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Question

If you were going to get a new set of leathers, would you get one-piece or two-piece? If you have leathers, which do you own and do you like them?

I have an HJC leather jacket that I like, but if I were going to buy a set, I'd definitely get one-piece. I just like the one-piece sets in case I do a track day. I would worry about the zipper too much for two-piece sets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 07:08 PM

I would have thought you gals would have gone for a 2pc suit - less to take off when you just HAVE to go! I want to get a 2pc suit - so I don't have to wear the whole thing when I don't want to. I've been told they're okay, just as long as you get one with a plastic zipper - the metal ones heat up real fast when you're sliding down the road, and you can have a real nice burn all the way around your middle if you have a get off.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 09:45 PM

Well, if you have to choose one or the other...

(Heh, heh)

I would say it depends on how often you plan to go to the track.

For street riding, I would definitely prefer a two-piece zip-together set. Dainese, for instance, makes really nice 2-pc. leathers with all the features of a road race suit, armor, knee sliders, etc. But it's so nice to be able to wear the jacket separately, or to take the jacket off when you stop to eat, or whatever.

For the occasional track day, a set like that is certainly sufficient, and I would have no problem using them on the track (with a back protector, of course).

However, if you are routinely doing track days, and especially if you are going to race competitively, a one-piece set is a must.

But one-piece leathers can be a pain in the ass is you're just using them for street rides all the time...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 04:09 PM

Thumbs up

Well, I agree with Scott so I will only add this:

I initially bought a 1-piece Fieldsheer and HATED it! ~SO uncomfy! I now have a two piece Fieldsheer and Love it. I use the Jacket all the time and throw on the pants when Im gonna really play.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 04:40 PM

I had a two piece suit to begin with. I got the two piece so I could wear the jacket-only most of the time. Now that I am only going to use the bike as a toy, it will now be a one piece. I do reccomend them to everyone. The leathers saved my butt.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 03:06 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i have a 1 piece dainese. it's a pain in the @$$. but i agree with scott, track time mandates track-quality and cut leathers.

oh, for a nice vanson jacket...

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 07:02 AM

Cool

Both boss.

I have two-piece Vanson gear for street use and a one-piece Fieldsheer suit for track days and riding schools. Also different boots for street and track. After seeing too many swollen ankles at track days I invested in a pair of Daytona Security boots.

My son and I also have Knox CE approved back protectors for track use. My wife is getting a one-piece suit for track days, and a pair of Security boots. This gets expensive, but how much would you be willing to spend to prevent a sprained ankle or fractured spine?

Same with leathers. Two-piece leathers are more convenient for street use, but I'd hate to be sliding on my back wishing I'd sprung for one-piece leathers dedicated to track use.

Besides, my street bike is solid yellow, and I needed some purple/yellow leathers to match my track bike.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 04:40 PM

Talking Quality two piece

I agree that the best leathers for track or racing are a one piece. Obviously without the split in the middle you would have much less separation factor in the event of a get-off. I do most of my riding on the street and I was just looking for new leathers for the occasional track day and for weekend use. I just bought a Dainese "Rock" two piece because of the riding flexibility you have with a two piece. I wanted to make sure I got a high quality suit in a two piece. I'll at least feel safer if I have a high quality, well built suit. If you decide to get a two piece, i certainly wouldn't go cheap. When I go to the track, I'll use a back protector also. When I get to the point where i have a track bike and street bike, I will get both a one piece and a two piece. Ahhhh, so many toys, so little money!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 11:31 AM

Exclamation

I would go with the 2 piece for street riding which is so far all I've done!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 11:45 AM

I have a set of 2-piece that I use if only when I don't plan to ride hard. If I'm going to push it, be it on the street or track, I always wear my one piece custom Bates leathers with Bohn body armor and Pro Racer back protector. Custom fit leathers are really the only way to go if you ride the track a lot. Even slightly loose fitting leathers will chaff you up good in a high speed get-off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode