01/21/01 - What is your favorite road to ride on and why? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

What is your favorite road to ride on and why?

This question was suggested by s-hawk. Thanks for the great suggestion!

My favorite road by far is the Cherohala Skyway. I love those fast, big, sweeping curves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 11:59 PM

This one is a hard decision. I think I have to pick Vulture Mine road in Wickenberg, AZ. The reason this road is good is because it is smooth and traffic is almost none. I am awaitng my next ride on it when I get back on the bike.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Luv2RideFast
My favorite road by far is the Cherohala Skyway. I love those fast, big, sweeping curves.
I have to agree. Awesome views, very smooth, minimal traffic and excellent curves make this my favorite road too.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 07:22 AM

The first road that popped into my head was what Stacia and Don put down so for my second road I will but down the Blue Ridge Parkway.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 07:50 AM

Toss-up between the Cherohala Skyway and the Blue Ridge Parkway. For the reasons mentioned, long sweepers and nice view. Road the Blue Ridge for the first time on a bike during the 2000 Smackdown. Hwy 28 from Deal's Gap to Franklin, NC is a pretty darn good one too. Close to a three way tie.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 10:13 AM

I can't remember exactly, but I am pretty sure the road is Triangle Road in North Virginia. We must have road up and down that road 100 times easily, so we were so used to going there, I never paid attention to signs, heh. If you live near there, and haven't been on it, it's worth it. From I-35, you exit Triangle Road. If you go right onto it, about 1 mile down is the entrance to Quantico Marine base. If you go left, it's the smoothest, cleaniest, beautiful stretch of twisties I have seen. There are very few cars that drive this piece of road, and believe it or not, we have never seen a cop on this road. This road has some elevation changes, many relatively slow speed turns, two straights with a wide sweeper between them. The only thing to watch out for is one turn that says 15 MPH, and if the road is clean there, you can go through it like a bandit, but I reccomend going very slow, as cagers constantly run onto the shoulder kicking dirt and gravel onto the turn. I have heard of so many riders dumping there because of it, it's just not worth it. The road was my buddy and mine own personal Isle of Man We knew it so well, it was basically a race track.

If you get out that way, I highly reccomend it.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 01:03 PM

Thumbs up

Good question,Kiddo!!
I think it is pretty hard to narrow this down to just one favorite ride. There are so many different routes and they are special in their own ways!!
Here,in my area if you haven't ridden the North Cascades Highway,then you haven't done THE ride yet.
But,also, other great rides here are to go to Mount Baker National Park or the ride to Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Park. Or how about the ride along the Oregon Coast Highway 101?? Or Chuckanut Drive......so many favorites.....so little time....they are all so special!!!!!
Boy, I am really starting wish for summer now!!

JIM
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 03:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
my favorite stretch of pavement is loudon, but my favorite road is one that only ne pa riders would know.

it's the roads (there's actually two different directions you can go to finish it, both fun, one faster, one tighter) that go over larksville mountain. very challening, it has 1st gear near-180's, a couple of 3rd gear (wide open) sweepers. it's an awesome road.

as a side note, this is a common sportbike road. and the most common crashing point is at the cemetery. it's creepy, but last year three guys i know either hit the fence surrounding it or went into it (good thing they took out the archway).

[Edited by cbrf2boy on 01-22-2001 at 01:02 PM]

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 08:17 AM

My favorite road? I dont think I've ridden on it yet But I liked the Track ALOT and learned alot being on it, so I have to say the track is my favorite so far. I think when Im older and have the time to go on cross country rides I will find some nice ones.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by katana600
Here,in my area if you haven't ridden the North Cascades Highway,then you haven't done THE ride yet.
But,also, other great rides here are to go to Mount Baker National Park or the ride to Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Park. Or how about the ride along the Oregon Coast Highway 101??...
JIM
I have found the Hurricane Ridge road (and the whole drive to Port Angeles) full of cars regardless of time of the week, etc.
Highway 512 out to Mt. Ranier National Park is terrific (on a weekday) all the way up to Paradise, especially when the mountain is out. The east and west ends of Oregon Highway 20 looks to be a blast. It was fun in my wife's Civic, so you know it'd be great on a bike.

It doesn't have to be fun to be "fun".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode