12/31/00 - Question about riding in the cold. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

What is the lowest temperature you will ride in and for how long?

This question was suggested by Dave. Thanks for a great suggestion!

I don't care for riding in the cold, myself. I can stay warm in pretty chilly temperatures, probably down to about 40 or so, but I can't seem to find a way to keep my hands warm, so that's rough. I'll have to try some surgical gloves, I guess! I've ridden a couple hours in what I consider very cold weather and by the end of that time, my nose was running and I was pretty darn miserable. It's just hard for me to turn down a ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 08:59 PM

I would have to say 50 degrees for a prolonged time. I am not 100 percent comfortable unless it's like 60 or so I would say though. I feel tight when it's cold, partly because the heavier clothes, the leather stays stiff when it's cold, etc.

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 09:17 PM

Pansies, the both of you

I routinely ride 50 miles to work in the mornings in temperatures in the mid 30s. 'Course, it warms up to the 50s or 60s by the time I leave for home, but hey, one hour in 35 degree weather will make you appreciate heated handgrips, opposed pistons (to keep your feet warm), and electric vests.

When I was younger and even more stupid than I am now I rode in 17 degree weather for about five miles. Worked the graveyard shift at a convenience store in Kansas and had to get home. A front came through in the night and dumped a few inches of snow on the ground. The road crews had cleared it off the roads, but I ran into about 100 yards of ice on the way home. Luckily the salt had melted the snow, and the ice was kinda chunky instead of smooth. I didn't go down, but I still remember telling myself "...don't breathe, don't roll off the gas, don't get on the gas, don't blink..."

These days, being older, wiser, and richer, I take a car when it gets below 35 degrees. Attired properly, I can ride all day in 35 degree weather, but I draw the line when there may be ice on the road.

[Edited by photobug on 01-01-2001 at 11:28 AM]

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 11:52 PM

I've ridden 40 miles in the high 30s to low 40s while it's raining! He asked what temps we were comfortable with! heh. Riding is riding, but without all that cushy heated stuff, us sportbike riders get mighty cold.

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 03:13 AM

I'll ride for any length of time if its above 50, but if it drops into the 40's, 1 hour tops.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 04:42 AM

Hmm. Interesting

Interesting that a few of us feel generally the same.

If its 50* or higher, I can ride for as long as I want. Since realizing I can use surgical gloves and rain pants, I will ride to work which is 20 miles down to 45*. I do-not like riding in the cold at all, the only reason I'll go to work in the cold is so I can ride home when its nice and maybe take the long route .

The coldest I think I've ridden in was 42* and I was miserable with no rain pants nor surgical gloves. So you can call me a sissy, but hey, I live in Southern California where there are Plenty of days to ride, I can miss a few chilly ones.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 08:07 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
the coldest was a race school. 5 or 6 hours in the rain, high was supposed to be 43, not sure it ever got that warm.

note: if you decide to take the penguin school, take the second date, not the first.

i do have a friend who used to ride his vmax year-round. and i mean, year-round. on the highway 80+ in the 20's.

now he has an r1 and a baby, so he's a bit more responsible.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 08:47 AM

I road a few days ago when the temp was 27 and it was only for an hour cause that was about all I could take. For the most part though 50 and above are the temps that I can ride all day in.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 10:15 AM

Yeah Riverunner. I would say it's more interesting people are being honest! heh. We all have a 98.6 body temperature roughly, so our thresholds for comfort, pain, etc, are all going to be relatively close. Some people might live up north and have the gear to handle the lower temps. Myself in TX, you CA folks, we don't have heated grips, thermal undies, etc, heh.

Riding in the rain with hands and feet cramping in near freezing weather sticks in my head as some of the most uncomfortable riding I did on my F3 I guess that's what we get for going to the dragstrip 40 miles away when all the forecasts say rain.

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Nance
Myself in TX, you CA folks, we don't have heated grips, thermal undies, etc, heh.
Not exactly true Rob. I'm an expatriate Texan living in California. I have heated handgrips, thermal underwear, Polartec liners, Gore-Tex outwear, and waterproof boots and gloves. The biggest problem I have in cold weather is my face shield fogging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode