12/31/00 - Question about riding in the cold. - Page 4 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Slip-On Rapist
Is it more possible to dump your bike in colder weather because the tires and road are not as warm?

ABSOLUTELY. Stopping distances are worse too. I've skidded into the middle of an intersection, thinking I'd had lots of space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 12:22 PM

CANT TELL YOU THE LOWEST TEMP, BUT I RIDE MY R1 365 DAYS A YEAR. HERE IN ENGLAND WE GET SOME NASTY COLD WEATHER. JUST USE THE RIGHT GEAR , THERMALS ETC , AND IT WONT BE TO BAD
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 01:15 PM

hmmm.... probably about -10 celcius... really really sucked.. that was probably the only time you are happy to stop at lights and stop signs so you can steal warmth from your bike.

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 03:57 PM

cold

to right . the exhaust offers a good bit of heat!!!! just dont burn your gloves!!...
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 10:14 AM

Hey photobug.
Thanks again for your advice on my track questions, but I gotta tell ya, you guys don't have cold weather down there! I'm in Detroit, and when it creeps into the high 30's in Dec. or Jan. I have to break out the bike just to remind me that spring is going to come at some point.
I get all the thermals under the leathers and drop very small "heat bags" in my boots and gloves (50 cents a piece). You know, the kind you shake to activate? They have kept my feet and hands nice and toasty on many longer rides in the cold. Not everybody has your fancy pants heated grips! I'd just as soon leave those to the BMW sect. If had to ride a bike that ugly to get 'em, I'd just as soon go without.

post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 07:26 PM

I have ridden in around 15 degrees F before. I had thermals on, then sweats, then my suit. I also had thermal gloves under my regula gloves. My bike has pretty good wind protection so i wasn't really cold at all. Probably didn't even need all that stuff on. I rode in that temp for probably about 2 hours. I will always be up for a good ride as long as it isn't raining!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode