12/31/00 - Question about riding in the cold. - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 11:56 AM
Squidwannabe

I drove 200 kms back in november to NY... It was about 7 degrees celcius outside. I had all my snowboarding gear on ... The only thing that was cold was my head , Ill buy a helmet liner next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 02:49 PM

You are the exception I guess I think mainly it's like someone said a few posts before, that they don't justify getting all that stuff since the non-ridable days, are so few and far between over a period of 365 days. This is especially true for a sportbike rider, as I am not going to put specialized cold weather equipment on my bike for a few days a year.

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 04:04 PM

I prefer temps >50 degrees F. I have ridden for about 150miles in temps 38 degrees at around sea level and about a third of the trip was at elevations ranging from 3000 to 5500 feet. So I guess I was in some pretty damn cold temps. Deal's Gap is not that fun when temps below freezing. It was at night and temps were 38 when I got to Knoxville.

Who asked this damn question. That night sucked. I was so stupid for getting out in that crap. Come on, who asked this question. It brought back bad memories.

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 04:04 PM

I have ridden for an entire afternoon (about 3 hours) in -10 deg. C (that is about -17 deg F). Top that. I froze my fingers pretty good, but I did it anyway. Normally, I will ride in any temperature as long as the roads are clear of snow and salt.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 04:15 PM
Old Guy

Cool

My commuting record is -10 for the 3 mile ride. One year on the way to Daytona Bike Week, I left Iowa in 19 degrees and didn't get above freezing until Little Rock, AK.
Nowdays, I generally don't ride unless it's at least 20 degrees, no snow, no ice.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 04:56 PM

Damn, and I thought Rosco929 was flipping me off, I guess it was just the only finger that didn't have to be amputated!
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 12:01 AM

Yall are crazy! Nowadays I dont ride if it is below < 40. If I can help it that is. I did do a trip from Virginia Beach to Richmond in the snow. I don't remember how cold but I couldn't tell with my hand how much pressure I was applying to the front brake when I left the highway, thats kind of spooky!
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 04:31 AM

I will generally ride in what ever temperature I can. I donít normally ride in below freezing temperatures simply because I worry about patches of ice in the road. Give me some good pants and warm gloves and Ill ride for as long as I can.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 09:03 PM

Thumbs up

Well,I went for a ride today...it was 50 degrees..I put in only about 40 miles or one hour riding.I LOVED it!! However my poor fingers turned white and cold due to a condition I suffer from.I coulda put on my Widder electric gloves,but,they are so clumsey I hate to use them.I had a great time never-the-less!!

JIM
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 01:19 PM

Rob, keep in mind that I grew up here in the Great White North. I am used to skiing, skating, walking, running, snowmobliling, etc, in temps as low as -40 deg F (even colder when I was young and crazy). Temperature is not the limiting factor when I ride, it is road condition, and salt. As long as one dresses for it, one can stay warm in any temprature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode