it's a matter of... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Red face

You enter a left hand corner too hot. On the outside of the corner a guardrail is happily waiting to tear you up and spit you out. You throw the bike over as hard and as far as you think possible. It is too late to stand the bike up and hitting the brakes is not a feasible option. Any more lean angle will cause you to crash. You are not going to make it through the corner without impaling yourself on the guardrail at the present turn radius. How do you make it through the corner unscathed? Why is this possible? (This is theory, sometimes it may not be possible for us mere mortals) Good Luck - don't crash!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 04:37 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
lean off the bike more.

there is some sort of physics laws that makes it possible for a bike to be more upright to turn a given radius by weighting the inside.

if you're really good, dirt track it. i'm not even good.

gd, is this what you're looking for? are you at some seriously advanced level.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 05:26 AM
Squidwannabe

I was in this same situation this year , I would guess a lowside would scrub off enough inertia to safely slow down, But this all depends on the speed travelling ? A highside could catapult you over the gaurdrail

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 05:29 AM
Squid

Send a message via AIM to jk6672
Basically what I would of said. Hang your a$$ off as much as posible so you don't exceed the traction limits of your tires by to much lean angle.

John
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 05:43 AM

I found myself entering a corner marked 15mph at 30mph this summer.....too late to brake......aww crap!!!.....instincts take over,(and experience),keep it leaned over,smooth......and Doink!! out I came from the corner!!My pulse rate was way the heck up there,but,no crash!!
Jim
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Once leaned over in a corner at max lean you cannot get off the seat any further without upsetting the suspension. Keep trying - you have all crashed so far!

[Edited by cbr600f4gd on 12-05-2000 at 09:57 AM]
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 07:50 AM

Wick it up!

In this situation, you throw-on some big throttle. By "un-loading" the front tire...blah...blah...blah.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 09:37 AM

Lightbulb Paul is on the right track, but...

"Big throttle"? Uh-uh. That'll high-side you in a heart beat when you're already at full lean!

But you've got the basic idea. You want to take some of the weight off the front tire so you can tighten the line.

So what you want to do is crack the throttle open slowly and smoothly. If you are still on the front brakes, you should ease off completely. The more lean angle you have, the less effective the brakes are.

As stated above, once you're in a corner, leaned over, forget about trying to hang off further. It will completely upset the bike, and if you're at full lean, it doesn't take much to put it over the edge. Plus, you've already got the centrifugal force pressing you into the seat at almost 1g., so you'd find it pretty difficult to change position anyway...
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 09:44 AM

well you sed they all crashed and my first thought was on dirttrack too but id say if your good enough and know your bike like the back of your hand (the road too) id ay slide the rear not like dirttrack but more like robberts Sr

gorilla at heart forever
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 12:51 PM

Re: Paul is on the right track, but...

Quote:
Originally posted by AZ Scott
"Big throttle"? Uh-uh. That'll high-side you in a heart beat when you're already at full lean!
My reply was a little "tongue-in-cheek," Scott.

I found out the "hard way" about BIG THROTTLE inputs while at full lean. I'd just like to say one thing, "high-sides hurt really bad."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode