Questions about riding in the rain. - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 09:52 AM

Talking

A little rain does keep you sharp and requires that you pay extreme amounts of attention on being smooth on your inputs, i.e. throttle, braking and lean angle. If you give yourself a lot more time to react to things and don't make any disturbing movements while riding in the rain it could be almost enjoyable. Just remember to be even more cautious then normal and avoid puddles.

Have fun and ride safe,

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 09:53 AM
GIX

Cool riding in the rain

I just started riding about 8 months ago,so I try to get in as much riding time as possible. If I'm at home and its raining I won't go riding. But if its just cloudy, I take my chances. If I'm out some where and need to get back home I'll ride. I just like riding, and if there is any reason I can find to ride, I will!!!
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 11:17 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by Squidwannabe

LOL!
Well when I had a bike , I rode in the rain .. Didn't really care about the dirt as it wasn't a center piece in my livingroom
Too hard to get the bike up the steps into the trailer home, eh Squid?

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 11:31 AM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
Too hard to get the bike up the steps into the trailer home, eh Squid?
LMFAO!
A whole trailer , to myself !! I wish !
I sublet the basement....
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 01:29 PM

Smile Rain

If I`m touring and it rains,I`ll throw on my rainsuit and tone down my riding a bit.If I`m at home and I want to go out riding on a weekend and its supposed to be rainy,I`ll do something else,like mountain-biking.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 06:58 PM

I knew better

but I did it anyway.

I rode the CBR to work yesterday despite the storm coming in off the Pacific. Winds were gusting to 30 mph when I left for work, but it wasn't raining yet. By the time I got to San Jose it was raining pretty well, but not as hard as it does in the Midwest.

By the time I got off work and headed home things had gone downhill. Winds gusting to 50 mph, rain coming down so hard visibility was about one-quarter mile at best, often 200 yards. It took me 70 minutes to make the 50 mile ride home, but I made it.

Never again in those conditions. The truck's gas mileage isn't that bad.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2001, 09:03 AM

I frequently ride in the rain. I do not comute in the rain due to the hassle of my rain gear at work. I will leave on trips in the rain and frequently get caught out in the rain. The key for me is having the right gear. I have a moto-sport 1 piece rain suit, a two piece dry rider (its old and cheap and stays in my desk at work, and wear my Aerostwich when rain is forecast.

Some of my most memorible rides have been in the rain. Generally as long as it is above 50 degrees I do not mind riding in the rain. cold temperatures and wet conditions do not mix very well.

Ride safe,
Rick
NCVFR
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 09:57 AM

I learned to ride in the rain. The day I bought my bike, there was not a cloud in the sky, by the time I got home from the dealership, it was a full blown thunderstorm.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 12:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
Angry Riding in the rain

I ride in the rain because cars suck. It's a little inconvenient, but I live with it because I don't want another car. You find out real quick that those eighty dollar gloves that say "waterproof" aren't. I wear waterproof boots and a rubberized PVC rain suit when it's bad and Motoport/Tourmaster nylon gear when it's light. I just bought a pair of Olympia Aquatex gloves that work well.

Riding in the rain will certainly teach you throttle control.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 03:32 PM

Wet Weather riding....

Over here in England, we've had approximately 3 months of rain 20/30 days each month on average for 6-10 hours per 24 hour period, ranging from monotonous drizzle to the full blown big rain that makes your rear wheel aquaplane at anything over 90mph floods you name it. what's my job I hear you ask, well I'm a full time instructor doing 6-8 hrs per day on road with students, not to mention a 100 mile round trip to work and back each day on my ZX9.
What's my verdict????????

If nothing els, it teaches you how to take feedback from your bike. For my students the best advice I can give is this ...... Remember you've only ever got 2sq/in of rubber in contact with the road at any time, treat it with respect, don't expect to much from it, plan WAAAAAY ahead, and ride smooth.........................................

Ps send some of that sun over here all you lucky devils over the sea.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode