10/31/00 - How many tickets? - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-01-2000, 08:15 PM

Can't believe that some of you have got cleaner records that me!

I've been pulled over three times, and got two tickets.

The first time was a couple of days after I got my first bike. Between two sets of lights (admittedly on the main drag) I opened the throttle to see how fast she would accelerate. I failed to noticed the unmarked car directly behind me. Owch. I reckon I just touched 100 (kph) before I closed the throttle, in a 50 zone. He pulls me over and says "I clocked you at over 90kph there ...". At the time I was thinking - now I'm sure I got to 100
He was a decent chap and did me for 80 in a 50.

Got pulled over a few months ago and ticketed for doing 118 in a 100 zone. Revenue collection!
Wrote them a well worded letter practically begging them to let it go, and they did. Sweeet.

And yeah there are red lights I got through too. But I'm wise enough to make sure no-one sees me do it
If I did get pulled over for that, I think I could talk my way out of it - I mean what are you meant to do - wait for half an hour for another vehicle to show up just so you can get through the lights?

Speed thrills!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-02-2000, 04:39 AM
Pete

FWIW, two tricks that I have heard riders use to trip the traffic light sensors are lowering your kickstand, or thumbing your starter button.

P.S. Yeah, Squid, John and I call it "thumbing your starter button" too!
post #23 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-02-2000, 05:59 AM

Stop lights and tickets

Have had 1 ticket since I started riding (more than a year ago).
I was doing 80 in a 55 and I musta blown past the cop in heavy traffic...never saw him till I realized that no one was behind me...looked in left mirror, nothing...looked in right mirror, nothing...looked over my right shoulder..DPS officer...I wasn't going anywhere at that point..pulled over, took my helmet/gloves off, turned off the bike, was real polite and everything...
Ultimately a $29 ticket for reckless use of resources.

As far as the stoplight I had heard that if the light doesn't change for you after so many cycles, it can be considered a malfunctioning light and you can proceed through after making a legal stop. (just what I heard)

post #24 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-03-2000, 11:34 PM

Always run the reds at night on my bike, just carefully never been caught.
Total of 10 tickets in a car over the last 9 years, the first one was a month after I got my license for running a red of all things. Only one car ticket in the last 3 years.
I have been warned a couple times for speeding and received one ticket on a bike.
My ticket was for careless driving. I had just put a new rear tire on. I was scuffing it in by weaving in my lane between the two groves cars create. I was on a four lane road with a median seperating the two sides. Took it to court and the judge upheld the ticket, dick. Florida Highway Patrol are the biggest jerks besides any cop in the Norfolk, Va area.
post #25 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-04-2000, 02:39 AM
Squid

Send a message via AIM to jk6672
I'd give anything to just get a ticket right now I feel like a misfit without a bike that's running Hell, technically I can't even post in Daily Rider

John
post #26 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 11:58 AM

Just one, for doing 65 in a 55 zone on IH-10 in San Antonio. Cars were whizzing past me on both sides, but the cop pulled me over for speeding. I took a defensive driving class, got the ticket dropped, and my insurance went down 10 percent.
post #27 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-09-2000, 04:54 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by photobug
Just one, for doing 65 in a 55 zone on IH-10 in San Antonio. Cars were whizzing past me on both sides, but the cop pulled me over for speeding. I took a defensive driving class, got the ticket dropped, and my insurance went down 10 percent.
Photobug, when you say that you took defensive driving to dismiss the ticket, do you mean the regular DPS approved defensive driving typically used for cage tickets, or a motorcycle safety course? I ask because on the one ticket I got, the judge told me that I would have to take the MSF course, not defenisive driving. The problem was that I had taken the MSF course less than a year prior to the ticket, so he wouldn't let me do it again to dismiss this ticket. The guy was an old codger that hates motorcyclists, so I don't know if he was exacting his disgust onto me or if that is really the law. Bottom line is that I have two questions about Texas law (not looking for an answer here, I need to do some research):

(1) To dismiss a ticket received on a m/c, can you take defensive driving to dismiss it, or does it have to be a motorcycle safety course?

(2) If you have taken either defensive driving or a MSF course for purposes other than dismissing a ticket, i.e., for your own improvement or lowering your insurance premiums, by law, can you take either again in less than twelve months to dismiss a ticket?
post #28 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-09-2000, 05:14 AM
Founder

Garage
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pete
Quote:
(1) To dismiss a ticket received on a m/c, can you take defensive driving to dismiss it, or does it have to be a motorcycle safety course?

(2) If you have taken either defensive driving or a MSF course for purposes other than dismissing a ticket, i.e., for your own improvement or lowering your insurance premiums, by law, can you take either again in less than twelve months to dismiss a ticket?
The MSF course has nothing to do with dismissing tickets. It's the defensive driving course that dismisses tickets. Not sure why the judge told you to take an MSF course.

Here in Arizona you can only take the defensive driving course once in a two year period to dismiss a ticket.

P.S. Don't ask how I know all of the above.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-09-2000, 05:50 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pete
Quote:

Well, I left Texas before the Feds dropped the ridiculous double-nickel speed limit, so things may have changed. However, when I received my ticket Texans could take the regular DPS defensive driving course to get a ticket dismissed, and if you took the course in the past year for reasons other than dismissing a ticket you could still take it to dismiss a ticket. I took the regular course even though I was on a bike when I received the ticket.

But, as I said, things may have changed. I was in Texas when the Fed imposed the double-nickel, and the class-for-dismissal law was passed as a way of letting people drive reasonable speeds and not get popped too often. Now that the speed limits in Texas are closer to what people actually drive the law may have changed.

[Edited by photobug on 11-09-2000 at 11:33 AM]
post #30 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-13-2000, 04:38 PM

Talking 1 ticket in 10 years

I have only one speeding ticket in my 10 years of riding.

That ticket was for 35km/h over the limit on a 100km highway. I couldn't figure out how I didn't see the cop sitting in the middle of the median of the highway, thus avoid speeding past him.

So I went to the eye doctors, and got a pair of glasses.... 4 years later I'm still speeding, but no tickets. I'd like to attribute this to my hightened senses... but more truthfully it would be my pathetic grovelling expression I've mastered after being pulled over. (see my post on getting caught doing 170 in a 100 zone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode