Sportbike - The Origin - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:02 PM

hahaha, Sportbikes, I am expecting a t-shirt within the next month to make up for your slow-ness. I am hurt and appaled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 05:44 PM

With consideration to other motorcycles available at the time, wouldn't cafe racers still be the first sportbikes? Granted they weren't ready to go right off the floor, but they were the first "sport" oriented bikes, if I'm not mistaken....
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 07:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
refer yourself to previous posts.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportbikes View Post
Congrats!

The term cafe racer - I think it came from europe and grand prix racing. Any idea on the origin....

In fact the 1983 Kawasaki GPZ series was the first in what we now call sportbikes, but was billed as a cafe racer style. (at least I'll say that until someone proves me wrong )

Firefox - send me your name and address and I'll get you the prize.
IIRC, the original ELR "GP" replicas were 1981-82 models, based on the earlier, get this, the Z-1's which started production in late 1972. Honda had the CB1100F Supersport for 1983, but it was based on the earlier 750 and 900 CB supersport DOHC models. IMHO, the first inline four that grandfather's the "sportbike" term is the 1969 CB750K. All of the early models could be made into a "cafe-style" look fairly easy.

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 07:53 AM

speaking of UJM bikes
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 07:20 PM

If you watch this documentary

History of motorcycle part 1
History of motorcycle part 2

It probably would say it is the Triumph motorcyles.

But the Indian in "The Worlds Fastest Indian" could be considered a sportbike, and that was in the 1950's and 60's.....I think.
The Indian did close to over 200mph, I say that is a sportbike..wouldn't you.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 10:27 PM

Good tough question, one I think I will stay out of. What we think of today as a sportbike has been developing over the past forty years and who was first to make a modern sportbike is hard to say. First you would have to define what a sportbike is?

Is there a easy which oil is best thread I could join?
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 04:56 PM

so just based on speed, you call it a sportbike, not even considering the bike prolly handled like a bag of ass. Do you call the top speed bikes of today sportbikes!? there fast, they must be sportbikes, a top speed bike from the 50's and 60's is not a sportbike. I already defined what a sportbike is if you read through older posts. If we are talking about Modern sportbikes it would be suzuki's 1985 GSX-R which first came out in japan in 84' then was brought stateside in 85-86'. it was a purpose built bike and comparable to what was being raced by the pro's. UJM bikes were built to suit different styles, cafe'd bikes, cruisers and touring bikes etc....not 1 main purpose,and if we still want to belive that cafe racers were to "origin" of sportbikes which i dont believe they are, then the purist cafe boys will gripe all day about crappy british bikes. I dont believe the poop shoot selection of british bikes of the 50's 60 and 70's had anything to do with the development of sportbikes, except of maybe giving the designers a base idea of what NOT to do. if anything the "origin" of sportbikes, would be bikes like yamahas TZ's and suzukis RG's etc etc.... and other untouchable race bikes, which cost tons of money and were only ridden by the pro's
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:38 AM

IIRC, "UJM" is a acronym from the 90's describing the current run of Japanese four cylinder motorcycles that you could make to look like anything. If I'm not mistaken, a motorcycle mag started the use of the term. Does it actually apply to the earlier models from the 70's and 80's? Maybe, maybe not.

IMHO, I think not. But,,,,, I see the term being used everyday in the motorcycle world now to date back before the "Big Four" started making inline fours. Here, other forums, and on the street.

Just an observation from a 42 year old who started riding on a new 1969 Honda Mini Trail 50 in 1970. It was definately NOT a sportbike, but remains to this day, in my mind, one of the two most fun motorcycles I have ever ridden. The other is my 99 ZRX1100. The other 40-plus motorcycles, dirt and street, and atv's were fun to an extent, but not like my first and my current.

Sorry for the hijack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode