4 cylinders
Disc brakes
electronic start
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sportbikes
the 750 was a true turning point in history, but did not have the sportbike look or feel. You rode the bike sitting up... not learned over.

Question was vague... depends on if you can remmeber the old day

Quote:
Originally posted by Xx954HxCafexX
If anything it would be the 1969 CB750

4 cylinders
Disc brakes
electronic start

Check out some of our new motorcycle forums:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

|
|
|
|
|

|
If you are interested, we are looking for moderators and admins to help grow
these sites.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 12:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
i have a ton of respect for the old days, i rode my 550 all the time and turned it into a cafe racer myself.

waiting for next weeks question...!

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 01:38 PM

cafe racers are not "actual sportbikes". cafe racers were customized bikes, customized by their owners. and to the purist cafe racers, the bikes were old brit twins and whatnot but 60-70's UJM bikes fit in too. and a cafe racer was when theyd racer around town from cafe to cafe, coined probably in englands "Ace Cafe"

sportbikes come all souped up and pretty much race ready, stock from the factory, so im gonna quote from a book here:

"The orginal gsxr750 was the bike with which modern japanese super-sports motorcycles were invented."

Definition of a sportbike taken from wikipedia.org

"Sportbikes have comparatively high performance engines resting inside a lightweight frame. The combination of these help maintain structural integrity and chassis rigidity. Braking systems combine higher performance brake pads and multi-piston calipers that clamp onto oversized vented rotors. Suspension systems are advanced in terms of adjustments and materials for increased stability and durability. Front and rear tires are larger and wider than tires found on other types of motorcycles to accommodate higher cornering speeds and greater lean angles. Fairings may or may not be found on a sport bike. When used, the fairings are shaped to reduce aerodynamic drag as much as possible and less as wind protection for the rider. The performance of some stock sport bikes is so great they can be used on a race track right off the showroom floor. It is commonly said of these motorcycles that you can race them on Sunday and ride them to work on Monday."

which i think more accurately answered your question of "When SPORTBIKES came into being." maybe your qeustion should how been about streetfighters or custom bikes came into being.

Last edited by Xx954HxCafexX; 07-12-2007 at 01:57 PM.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 02:55 PM

Wow, some good info there... If you want the book that bad, go ahead and take it!
I dont really know that much about motorcycle history, I just recalled it from a post I read.. But, it's up to Sportbikes to decide the winner...it IS his contest...
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 03:33 PM

it wasnt directed to you at all firefox.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
it wasnt directed to you at all firefox.
oops, I mis-interpreted, sorry. Thats the problem with forms, you cant tell stuff like that half the time lol
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sportbikes
Quote:
cafe racers are not "actual sportbikes". cafe racers were customized bikes, customized by their owners. and to the purist cafe racers, the bikes were old brit twins and whatnot but 60-70's UJM bikes fit in too. and a cafe racer was when theyd racer around town from cafe to cafe, coined probably in englands "Ace Cafe".......
Well, OK... you did your homework, so I'll give in and send you something to. PM me.

I was unaware of the name Cafe' Racers origin, and I'm buying the cafe-cafe ride for now.

But I still believe that it was the "cafe' racing" that promoted pre-made (race ready) sportbikes, hence they were the origin... without getting into a specific bike.

By the way.. we are starting a Wiki here for sportbikes in particular. http://sportbikes.com/sportbikeWIKI.aspx
If you are family with how they work... be my guest to help out. We are still setting it up, but it is live and open to contributions.

Check out some of our new motorcycle forums:

|
|
|
|

|
|
|
|
|

|
If you are interested, we are looking for moderators and admins to help grow
these sites.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 02:11 PM

I never did get that Track day Handbook, did you get yours Xx954HxCafexX?
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 04:37 PM

nope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode